Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting a mini USB switch to add additional hardwire connections

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 njburrito

njburrito

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

USB powered switch***

As you can see in my lame diagram attached, I have a network in my home currently consisting of two laptops and a Vizio SmartTV. These devices occupy three of the four available ports on the rear of the router.

Can I use a USB powered 5-port dumb switch in that last port, then connect additional devices? In my diagram, would each of the red computers pick up a unique IP assuming they are configured for DHCP? Or would there be some sort of conflict?

The goal here is to be able to keep the current two laptops and SmartTV connected, but also connect a PlayStation 4, XBox and a NAS device.

I would imagine this would work but am just curious. Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by njburrito, 08 December 2016 - 06:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

As long as the dumb switch acts like a typical switch, and it being USB powered doesn't change anything, that should work fine. What model switch is it?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

If you can get by without a USB powered unit this netgear switch is available on newegg for $8 after rebate.

It is not gigabit though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122005

#4 njburrito

njburrito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:59 PM

As long as the dumb switch acts like a typical switch, and it being USB powered doesn't change anything, that should work fine. What model switch is it?

Thanks, I may get a typical wall-power mini switch but I have a USB powered one I use for work and haven't ever had any issues connecting my laptop to 2+ systems at once.

The model is: DualComm DCSW-1005U, a basic $40 mini switch just to add some additional ports.

@JohnC_21 thanks I may also get a Netgear, or maybe just something bigger with a bunch of ports just to have more than enough going forward (i.e. something like an Allied Telesis 24-port switch).

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

That should work. Just watch out for the 5th port, which can mirror port 1, which might cause some weird firewall issues:

DCSW-1005/DCSW-1005PT offers a unique and low cost solution for capturing and

monitoring network traffic by means of Port-Mirroring. Port-Mirroring used to be a

feature typically found only in much more expensive managed switches requiring a

series of software configurations, but DCSW-1005/DCSW-1005PT makes it plug and

play and hassle free without going over your budget.

If this is for long term use, I suggest a normal Netgear un-managed switch. The integrated TAP could be problematic.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,359 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Dumb question, but why not spend a few bucks on a real switch and make life easier?  You can pick up a switch for around $20 that will always be on, so you don't have to leave your PC on for the other devices to work.

I've never seen a USB powered network switch, that has to be one of the more interesting solutions I've heard.

#7 njburrito

njburrito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:27 PM

That should work. Just watch out for the 5th port, which can mirror port 1, which might cause some weird firewall issues:

DCSW-1005/DCSW-1005PT offers a unique and low cost solution for capturing and

monitoring network traffic by means of Port-Mirroring. Port-Mirroring used to be a

feature typically found only in much more expensive managed switches requiring a

series of software configurations, but DCSW-1005/DCSW-1005PT makes it plug and

play and hassle free without going over your budget.

If this is for long term use, I suggest a normal Netgear un-managed switch. The integrated TAP could be problematic.

Thanks didn't know that, I may just get a different switch to make sure there aren't any issues!

Dumb question, but why not spend a few bucks on a real switch and make life easier?  You can pick up a switch for around $20 that will always be on, so you don't have to leave your PC on for the other devices to work.

I've never seen a USB powered network switch, that has to be one of the more interesting solutions I've heard.

Lol I agree, kind of a weird solution but the reason is that I have this mini switch already laying around in my work bag that I don't use anymore. I will probably just get a larger switch but was curious if I could use it. It's USB-powered, which isn't ideal, but I have a USB power outlet next to my router so I could just power it from there. This mini switch should be sufficient for just connecting a PS3, Xbox, etc. since nothing is really critical. Plus I'm cheap so I figured why not use what I have already!

Edited by njburrito, 09 December 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

Let us know if you get everything working the way you want  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users