Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Showing off my new install

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

I thought I'd share what I've been up to :).

qlamcs.JPG

I was working on a new Cloudy release (it's a small project of mine), but I needed to take a break from that...do something else for a bit. So, I've setup a compressed frugal rambooting Debian installation on my main computer. I run Windows 10 as my primary OS on this machine, and on occasion I dual-boot it temporaryily with a linux distro. I figured it was time to do so again :). I decided to go with Debian, rather than my trusted Lubuntu, because I've been getting more into Debian lately. I'm running LXDE on it, obviously :P, and I borrowed some theme files from Lubuntu.

ecoxed.JPG

I do have a flat-install (regular install) version of Debian on my spare SSD, in case I wish to make changes to my new frugal install, but long term I will most likely delete the flat-install to free up that drive. I can re-create a flat-install as needed by extracting my frugal install anyways. The frugal install is setup on a spare 4GB SDHC card, in my new external USB 3.0 card reader. I got the card reader earlier in the fall, and haven't used it much yet. I was really hoping it would work under Linux, despite not listing Linux as a supported environment, and sure enough, it's working great! :) It's so much faster than my old external card reader, which throttled my cards, and my cards aren't very fast to begin with. I installed to an SDHC card for 2 reasons: I have several of spare memory cards, and I can use the security tab to make the card read-only for added protection.

While setting this all up, I ran into several snags along the way. Like my vga external monitor not being detected. I was using the open source radeon driver at that time, but switching to the proprietary drivers in the package fglrx-driver solved it. Since I'm not running Gnome Desktop (which apparently won't work with the propriety driver) this isn't a huge concern for me, plus I want the proprietary graphics drivers anyways to aid graphics demanding VMs. Another issue I encountered was no networking. Having installed Debian previously once on this machine, I knew I would need to install some non-free firmware package to get it working.

ztbnxz.JPG

I've installed a bunch of software (can't even remember everything at this point :P), including Nightingale, which I've setup with the chromibird theme. For the moment I'm keeping the flat-install of Debian handy, because I'm sure there are going to be a few changes I'll want to make that I haven't thought of yet. I'm not sure how much I'll actually end up using this new Debian setup but, it was interesting to put together, and it's nice to know I've got another OS handy for if my Windows installation isn't working. I do usually have a couple Linux live-CDs handy too for such an occasion, but this is more personalized.

If you're interested in rambooting your Debian installation, I've submitted a tutorial which, if approved, should appear soon in the Unix Linux tutorials section. The tutorial is for adding a rambooting option on your existing installation. If you want it on a seperate device, like I've done for my install, take a look at my personal notes, which you can download from "https://mega.nz/#!A9ohhZRA!2gSQ10vnxNUAmy_69QExR1q5DqT1l4OcD-Vb-MYDk7g" ( SHA-512:7886dd1c35fdbaf6e5126cf2c61dd7074e620ed08a9d345a73678b9d42db2685be7ae021ee050d734a7f65848733ffe31c3db9637ab68ff7f34fc1f6e3a7d2a1 ).

Feel free to show off your Linux installs here, regardless of distro. I know some of you have done interesting customizations, like Mike_Walsh with his symlinked Puppies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,465 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:31 AM

Very nice, hollowface.

TBH, the 'customization' I've done with my Pups (as I said at the time on that thread) was done at first merely out of curiosity, to see if the principle worked.....which it did, nicely. It then struck me that using that many browsers in that many Pups added up to an awful lot of disk-space.

Puppy's 'load-on-the-fly' system for the SFS packages means you can 'unload' a package when not in use, but I tend to leave them loaded. (I'm just lazy!)  :lol:

And as I said at the time, since I can only run one Pup at a time, where's the point in having more than one copy of each browser anyway....?

It 'works' for me. It's a lot of initial effort to set it all up, sure, but once in place, it makes upgrading a breeze ever afterwards.....and that was one of the main incentives, when I embarked upon the experiment. And in case of any major problems, I keep copies of the browser directories, in case I ever need to revert while I sort things out.

Interesting tutorial, BTW!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 09 December 2016 - 05:35 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 500GB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:00 AM

Sweeeet, hollowface. :thumbup2:

And trust you, you Music Lover, to have Nightingale as one of your early additions, lol.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

@wizardfromoz

A while back there was a thread on here about how Nightingale has basically been abandoned, and doesn't work on some distros anymore. I figured it might be a possibility that it wouldn't work on Debian 8. I went to load some music into Nightingale, and it failed to import anything :(. I may have to replace it I guess.

#5 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:56 PM

Nice guide. Thanks Hollowface.

I run Debian live boot (installed to HDD) as my primary boot choice. LXDE is my preferred choice, I do however also have a gnome alternative boot option on a external USB-HDD, together with another LXDE lon a USB stick.

With live boot if there is a partition with a label of 'persistence' then changes can be stored to that. What I did was create a single partition with a label of 'persistence' that I installed grub4dos (my bootloader of preference) to and then copied across the /live folder from a Debian liveCD, which contains the main filesystem.squashfs. I then extracted that sfs content to the root folder, so in effect the 'save partition' contains the entire system. I then recreated a new empty filesystem.squashfs in the /live folder. So the single partition is a boot partition (grub4dos), a liveCD partition (/live folder and filesystem.squashfs), and is a persistence (save) partition. I don't bother with swap other than also creating and activating a swapfile also in that partition if I am doing stuff that is likely to need that (video editing or whatever).

I've edited the boot config (menu.lst) so it can either boot that / content as though it was booting a full install, in which case all changes are preserved to disk as and when the occur. Or I can boot (which I do most of the time) as though a liveCD boot ... where changes are recorded in memory and lost at shutdown/reboot (I use persistence persistence-read-only boot parameters). That can also be run with toram so everything runs in ram (very quick). I have a script that caters for flushing the memory recorded changes to disk if I so desire so as to make all changes during a session permanent.

So I can boot the same setup each and every time, but apply and preserve changes such as updates as and when I desire. A nice thing about running livecd style is you can try things out, perhaps mess up the system, but a reboot has you back to factory fresh/pristine again.

As things aren't stored under persistence persistence-read-only boot settings, I sym-link certain things/files to the disk layer so that they are preserved ... things like Osmo calendar/diary. I also have a Documents-Persistent folder that is also a sym link to the disk layer, so all files stored in that are persistent across reboots .. i.e in my case Documents-Persistent folder sym links to /lib/live/mount/persistence/sda1/Documents

I love running Debian for the stability and extensive repository that provides, more so as I boot a factory fresh as though brand new install each and every time, but that can be easily updated to the latest factory fresh stable Debian version (updates/security fixes etc). I tend to reboot before doing online banking and then reboot immediately afterwards again to ensure nothing is being stored in memory. If you go nowhere before or after except to your bank using a factory fresh system then there's great peace of mind.

The following is my menu.lst (grub4dos) entry (flush2disk is the name of the script that I have to flush all memory recorded changes to disk)

title Debian Jessie Frugal RO only saves if run flush2disk
find --set-root /live/frugalboot
kernel /vmlinuz boot=live timezone=Europe/London xorg-resolution=1280x768 config nofastboot persistence persistence-read-only persistence-label=persistence quickreboot noprompt showmounts live-media-path=/live/ config rw fsck.mode=auto fsck.repair=preen
initrd /initrd.img

OpenBSD (-current)

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

@hollowface.....I too have nightingale installed on 2 pc's.....plugged a thumb drive into my wifes pc the other day....it had around 2gb of music on there...seconds later nightingale had imported it and the fuss was over.... :cool:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:51 AM

@rufwoof

so in effect the 'save partition' contains the entire system. I then recreated a new empty filesystem.squashfs

Very clever.

@Condobloke

I too have nightingale installed on 2 pc's..

In my opinion, it's the best music manager for Linux. I might have to try re-installing it, because it would be really nice to have on here.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:45 AM

@ hollowface....agreed...it is brilliant. I recently made the mistake of thinking that when i inserted a thumb drive and then watched nightingale "import " it...without any intervention on my part.....only to find later that it wasnt imported properly...the names were there but no files !!.....So....drop the files in the 'music' folder on linux and all is good !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

qqdziy.png

I removed my existing Nighingale install, and tried installing it again from source code, but I was unsuccessful. So, I've replaced Nightingale with Banshee (shown in the screenshot above). So far Banshee is working (mostly), though I've not tested everything. I have made note of a few things though:

1. It doesn't detect all tags properly, even if it supports the given tag type. For example, with vorbis comments on my FLAC files, it doesn't detect the total number of tracks field, even on tracks where I know its filled. It just lists the field as empty. Another example is, the album artist field is actually displaying the contents of the Artist field. So I will not be able to use/trust Banshee for editing tags. I may be able to use EasyTag ( https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EasyTAG ) for editing tags, but it would still be nice to have at least accurate viewing of tags in my music manager.

2. It doesn't organize alphabetically, because it considers special characters when sorting. For example, "A Skylit Drive" comes before "A.F.I." even though alphabetically "as" should come after "af". I'm not sure if I like or dislike this yet. It makes sense. It's just different from what I'm used to.

So, for the moment, my install has Banshee. Not sure if I'll be sticking with it or not, but at least I can manage music now if I need to. If I want to discuss music manager or tagging options further, I'll start a new thread, if we don't already have one, rather than further bog down this thread.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

@ hollowface...No idea what this is like......but maybe worth a look

https://itsfoss.com/install-deepin-music-player-in-ubuntu-14-04/

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

Just an FYI - it may be the case that this is from Wuhan Technologies, a Chinese firm making big strides in Linux?

I featured a Manjaro desktop at Jonuk's Topic here https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592994/show-us-your-linux-desktop/?p=4029267  some time ago, where I mentioned:

...It ships with DDE (Deepin Desktop Environment), where Deepin is from Wuhan Deepin Technology Co., its Chinese developers.

Manjaro (Arch-based) ships typically with Xfce, KDE or GNOME (although Cinnamon features right up there too) from the official sources, but there are also a number of Community-based editions to be had, and Deepin is one of those.

If the music player is from the same bunch and is half as good as their other products, it might be quite good?

Cheers all

:wizardball: Wizard

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:04 AM

hollowface, that's really neat, to see one run an OS like that, especially Debian. :)

I also see you're not the only one who uses a blend of a USB card reader with extra SD/SDHC cards for these things, a 2GiB model is how I've performed most of my Linux installs for years (a steal for 99 cents on eBay). Had I known how good the Verbatim card was, would had purchased the limit of two, and have a smaller 1GiB one (this one is the original included with my digital camera) that's used for rescue/backup utilities, and of course, an 8GiB one for Windows installs. Every time I upgraded my digital camera card from a smaller/slower one to a larger/faster one, after backup of the images, these sub-16GiB SD/SDHC cards are the same as USB sticks. And if one comes across a fast enough one, such as the Samsung Pro models (with 90MB/sec reads & 80MB/sec writes), these can be used for full OS installs that'll outperform some SATA-2 HDD's, especially those on select AMD SATA controllers, often found on sub-$250 notebooks, such as the 'Black Friday' specials that may be as low as $178, which makes better Linux computers than the installed OS & solves the speed issue. :)

For the most part though, use a USB 2.0 card reader, because the two USB 3.0 models I tried got rather hot in minutes, and was afraid that the heat may damage my MB as it's transferred to it by the USB connection. At any rate, on a USB 3.0 port, don't really see a huge difference in speeds with my Transcend USB 2.0 reader, which I've had for 5-6 years. Thing was, no one told me how to do this, nor did I read it in an article, started out by trying to create a bootable partition ISO, and from there, Linux installers, the first when these were still under 1GiB. That's what led to the purchase of the 2GiB model that I though was a chancy purchase, yet has failed me only once (trying to install with Universal USB Installer on a GPT MB), that's now why unless I know for certain it's for a MBR computer, the bootable Linux install media for the MB (be it MBR or GPT) is performed with Rufus. These days, are performing more GPT installs, so am glad that I discovered what Rufus could do for me. :)

hollowface, Good Luck with your Debian project, I've been wanting to give Linux Mint Debian a try, looks to be a good choice to get some practice & feel for the OS before full install, have nearly as many SDHC cards as regular USB Flash drives (both regular size & mini which fits in an adapter), though my USB card reader will handle both. Never dawned on me to try LMDE in that manner. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 12:59 AM

oops !

Edited by Condobloke, 08 January 2017 - 02:57 AM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:48 AM

Deleted, as last Post edited, lol

:wizardball: Wiz

Edited by wizardfromoz, 08 January 2017 - 03:31 AM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:33 AM

Brian, I'm sure that with a little trial & error, you'll find the right music app & codecs that'll play your music fine. :)

On Topic, it's my hope that hollowface is still enjoying his Debian setup, which by now, no doubt, has been added a lot onto & may have required a 8GiB SDHC card. :thumbsup:

Since we've not heard from him in this Topic for awhile, I'm going on a limb & assuming he's doing fine with it. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users