Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb ports break when headphones plug-in

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 poey27529

poey27529

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

So i have a very weird problem. I am using an Alienware 14 Laptop , I have semi - broken headphones and they don't work if i accidentally budge the usb on it. But they do work if i don't budge it all. ( They only break when i budge it. )  But, when i do accidentally budge them they stop working and i have to re- plug them in and they work again.

So anyways i have a new problem that occurs now and just started today.  When i budge the headphone usb now all my usb ports break ( Including the one i use my mouse on ) . I tried uninstalling the usb devices from my device manager and restart the laptop and they work again. But if i use my headphones and budge them again they break and i have to do all that over again. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

UPDATE -  i found this article - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/817900 - , But i had no success with them other than restarting my laptop. But it does state " If you quickly and repeatedly insert and remove a USB device, the USB port may stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work. "

Which i have been doing

Edited by poey27529, 08 December 2016 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

USB solder points on the motherboard might be broken would be my guess from fiddling with them all the time.

#3 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:33 PM

USB solder points on the motherboard might be broken would be my guess from fiddling with them all the time.

I have 3 usb ports and when i use the one it breaks all of them, I'm not a big computer fixing guy so that means all of them are connected to 1 device or something? Because all 3 ports break from me using 1 port.

#4 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

It says my Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller isn't workiong and has yellow caution symbol. 

I tried scanning for hardware changes but it says no driver found for it.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

Had the same problem on my mobo, only 8 ports died, they started bugging out all over the place no mater what i did in the bios with USB settings or what settings i tried to change in windows, had to use a add-on USB card, now im down to 2 ports.

USB would just turn off, kept getting USB surge warnings then the USB with turn off on all most all ports, all the ports starting doing that so basically i would have to change mobos to fix something like that, seems its just hardware damage from age.

You could try some bios settings on the topic and see if that helps or download a copy of Linux mint and see what happens when you run it, it runs 100% off the dvd rom drive with out needing to be installed just to rule windows out of the equation.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users