Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Looking to custom build gaming PC for older games

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Warhorse11

Warhorse11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

Laptop or Desktop?

Either (Though I imagine desktop would be more powerful)

My budget for the new computer is:

$500 - $600 CA

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

Gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Whatever is recommended.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

Hoping to play a collection of older games (i.e. released 2006 or earlier) with one exception: The MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?

Close every program when done using it.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

No

Will you be overclocking?

Unlikely

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

Looking at PPC Zone for custom built PC (http://www.pcczone.com/)

How many monitors are you planning to use?

One (would need to purchase this also)

Do you need peripherals? OS?

Likely will need an Operating System

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

I’m an avid PlayStation gamer, but have wanted to play certain PC only games for many years now (so much so that they are now generally older games).

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2016 - 05:44 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Building New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

Id go used computer for what your needs are + some used upgrades on it like video card/more ram/more hdd or something but you shouldn't have a problem finding something for $600.

check this place out, its in the city were i live, they sell used rebuilt computers just to get an idea of prices.

http://pcdepotliquidation.com/

All their systems come with win7 as well and if you bring them a computer they do a full pruge and reinstall i think for like $40 or something "win7/winxp only"

system reqerments for your mmo are low so no problems their.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/star-wars-the-old-republic/11174

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

just looking at some of the prices at pc depot i could get a hole system with win7 4gigs ram core 2 duo all most 3000mgz 160gig hdd rest all intagrated for like $60+tax slap a decent used video card in thier + 1TB hdd + dvd burner and you should be good to go.

Edited by shadow_647, 08 December 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:27 PM

If you are really into legacy games, you might consider installing a 2nd hard drive with Windows98 (DOS) on it. Trying to get some of these old DOS games to run on Windows7 or, even worse, W10, will be a trial, and some simply will be impossible to play or just won't act right. Another problem is some of the newer upscale hardware (such as video cards) just will not recognize DOS, Windows98 or not.  If you are thinking older NTFS games it's a lot easier.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

just looking at some of the prices at pc depot i could get a hole system with win7 4gigs ram core 2 duo all most 3000mgz 160gig hdd rest all intagrated for like $60+tax slap a decent used video card in thier + 1TB hdd + dvd burner and you should be good to go.

True, you really can't be the price of these refurbished dell boxes. I remember seeing hundreds of them piled up all over empty office floors at my old job. Core 2 duo will do just fine for those titles. There's always the future option of upgrading graphics and get away with playing plenty of recent titles with low resource requirements.. 

I miss my old custom core2duo e8400. It did so well on overclock, and someone stole it from me during a move... I thought I was going to squeeze a few more years out of it too. Thinking of investing in one of those xeon boxes instead :)

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:10 AM

Ya refurbished dell/HP whatever computers and the like are so cheap its nuts like man "good to go" computer for basic home use with win7 for $60 ?

Im still on a core2duo my self at like all most 4000mgz overclock, grate chips and still running winXP with a half decent video card ...for older games.

Like buddy i mostly play older games and XP runs so fast on this setup i find most peoples computers slow even if their hardware/windows is newer then mine.

Thing too is you can upgrade the socket 775 cpus from twin cores to quads, can't overclock on a dell/HP Etc sadly though, bios options on em are useless.

For newer games though you want a quad core,older games only use one core so a twin is fine.

good 775 quad cores are hard to find though and people still want too much for em used.

if you are really into legacy games, you might consider installing a 2nd hard drive with Windows98 (DOS) on it. Trying to get some of these old DOS games to run on Windows7 or, even worse, W10, will be a trial, and some simply will be impossible to play or just won't act right. Another problem is some of the newer upscale hardware (such as video cards) just will not recognize DOS, Windows98 or not.  If you are thinking older NTFS games it's a lot easier.

I used win98 to the bitter end, sadly on anything past 512ram maybe 1gig ram or first gen Pentium 4 cpus 1400mgz ish or AMD 1000mgz k7 cpus is about the limit for win98, faster then that and win98 runs so fast it freaks/locks up or blue screens the min you try and do anything.

It just won't work on newer hardware, and good luck finding drivers and a sound card that will work too,mostly the old dos stuff works in winxp but no sound,could have sound though if you have a sound blaster live, its one of the last sound cards to support dos sound, my sound card newer then that and i have a full on win98se system for gaming in any case with a p3 750mgz cpu in it 512ram voodoo3 video card.

Ps: NTFS or FAT32 changes nothing, my windows install on this box is still fat32, wish win7 would install on FAT32 :mellow:

Best bet is just dosbos for old stuff on newer hardware/windows http://www.dosbox.com/

By the way even if you get a rebuilt computer for cheap id spend some cash on a good screen,like a good LED/IPS Lcd, worth it to spend some cash their and its good for as long as you have a computer, that will cost you some.

Edited by shadow_647, 09 December 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

Dinotech said:

True, you really can't be the price of these refurbished dell boxes. I remember seeing hundreds of them piled up all over empty office floors at my old job.

Wow, did your comment bring back a memory to me! My wife was working late once, and the IT techs came down the aisle pushing a large dumper, and it was loaded with old XP HP laptops, and they were replacing them with new machines. Amazing. There were dozens in there. She asked if she could take some, and the tech let her. So she piled about 6 and I drove down and picked her up. I refurbed them and donated them to a local school who handed them out to kids whose parents couldn't afford a computer. So at least the kids had something to do assignments on. Fun project.

I have an old WIndows 98 unit that I keep clean & shiny. It's really fun to fire it up occasionally. I just noticed that it's got a couple of bulging caps, but it's still running like crazy! Probably will have to have those replaced. Running 512meg RAM.....and I have a few extra sticks I pulled out of older boxes years ago. When friends come over to visit, their kids ge a kick out of running the old games I have. Wing Commander series, Mech Warrior 2 series, even older games than that.

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 December 2016 - 10:21 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Warhorse11

Warhorse11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

Thank you for your help and advice everyone! Very much appreciated!

I'm looking into a used PC in my city and I've received the following specs on it from the seller:

"It is an i7-860 Quad Core up to 3.46Ghz, 16GB DDR3 Memory, Nvidia GTX 450 Video card, Very Expensive Asus P7P55D-E Motherboard, 1TB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Card Reader"

As I'm admittedly not very tech savvy, could I ask if this would be an appropriate machine for my needs? Should I ask the seller for any further details on the specs?

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'm looking into a used PC in my city and I've received the following specs on it from the seller:

"It is an i7-860 Quad Core up to 3.46Ghz, 16GB DDR3 Memory, Nvidia GTX 450 Video card, Very Expensive Asus P7P55D-E Motherboard, 1TB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Card Reader"

Very expensive :lmao:

That's quite old tech but if price is good, then it's OK. Also graphic card is weak but that can be upgraded. PSU is obviously crap, otherwise seller would have mentioned it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users