Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - Good Security & Protection as it is?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

Is the Windows Defender and Windows Firewall that automatically come with Windows 10 already good enough, without shutting them down with installing a commercial security & protection program?  I read a couple of online articles saying so, but I do not remember the links to the articles - I think one was on AskLeo and another on some other page.

I'm thinking of replacing one commercial product on a new "desktop"  which came with Windows 10, but if another Windows 10 comes here (which would be then a laptop kind) I may just leave it with what comes on Windows 10 without putting on a commercial product.  The new laptop would probably not be used much for online internet searches, while the other having the commercial security & protection product would more typically be used for some online activity.

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2016 - 03:56 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

I have been using Windows Defender and Firewall on my laptop and one desktop machine for several years now.   I have Panda Cloud Antivirus on one laptop which I installed before Windows Defender was "robust enough" in my opinion (and everyone's opinion varies on this).

Just yesterday someone asked a question about which antivirus was "best" in the Discussion section which got moved to the Antivirus/Antimalware forum.  Quietman put everything about as perfectly as it can be put in his reply on that thread:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/634163/which-antivirus-software-is-best/#entry4135794 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups.

..Starting with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update...Windows 10 will include a new security setting called Limited Periodic Scanning...When enabled, Windows 10 will use the Windows Defender scanning engine to periodically scan your PC for threats and remediate them. These periodic scans will utilize Automatic Maintenance—to ensure the system chooses optimal times based on minimal impact to the user, PC performance, and energy efficiency—or customers can schedule these scans. Limited Periodic Scanning is intended to offer an additional line of defense to your existing antivirus program’s real-time protection.

Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 to Provide Additional Malware Protection
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users