Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Shutdown Options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:57 AM

I have little time, so forgive me if I miss an important detail:

I love the idea of hibernating a computer as opposed to shuting it down during the day. The only problem is, I can't seem to manually put it in Hibernation.
When I go to Start, I only have the options Log Off & Turn off Computer not Log Off & Shut Down.
When I click on Turn off Computer, I only get 3 options: Stand By (Not Hibernate), Shut Down, & Restart; however, on my dad's Win XP Pro, he has Log Off & Shut Down. When I click on his Shut Down option, I can a different window asking me what I want to do with the options being Shutdown, Hibernate, Restart, etc.
Hibernation is enabled and I know it works because I set my computer to auto-hibernate after 30 minutes of inactivity and it does. In addition, if I open Task Manager and select Shut Down, I have the options: Turn Off, Hibernate, Restart, Stand By, Log Off, etc.
Is there a way I can change the Turn Off Computer, so that it gives me the option to Hibernate?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:15 AM

After clicking on the "turn off computer" button, depress the "shift key" and you will see the "standby" button change to "hibernate". While holding the "shift key" click on "hibernate"

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

Thanks!!! It works like a charm! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

You are welcome. Hope you and your family are prepared for the storm. I have two daughters and their families in Boca. Keep an eye on it, never know what can happen strengthwise once it hits the Strait.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users