Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes 3.0 released...includes Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement

Malwarebytes now claims it has enough features/protection to replace a traditional anti-virus.

Our engineers...have combined our Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware, Website Protection, and Remediation technologies all into a single product which we simply call “Malwarebytes.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hello.

I have today uninstalled: Bitdefender Total security+ :bounce:malwarebytes anti-malware premium+malwarebytes anti exploit premium.

And i have Installed Malwarebytes 3.0 as my AV and malware program,i also have superantispyware professional+hitman pro.

I wanted to try something new,and then i saw the final version of the new and improved malwarebytes. :guitar:

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2016 - 01:03 PM.
Moved from Gen Sec to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:13 PM

isaccasi...I have merged your topic with this one. No sense on folks creating a bunch of separate topics on the new Malwarebytes 3.0 release.

This single topic can serve as our primary discussion topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:24 PM

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/191748-announcing-malwarebytes-30-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

Malwarebytes now claims it has enough features/protection to replace a traditional anti-virus.

Okay so I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043 & the AV database version is v2016.12.08.16. Although I don't want a trial of the pro at all because my real-time protection solution is MSE.

1: Does this mean I should install my current & download the latest one?

2: Why don't I see the scanner only free version download on their site anymore?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:42 PM

The MBAM standalone scanner is also discontinued along with all other singular products - now it's only "Malwarebytes".

Most people seem to think that the new Malwarebytes is an AV - it's a replacement for an antivirus, but not an *actual* antivirus in the way Emsisoft is both an antivirus and antimalware.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

With the launch of Malwarebytes 3.0, we are confident that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus...but rest assured, we continue to support compatibility if you choose to use a third-party antivirus or other security software alongside Malwarebytes 3.0.

Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement

Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions
Malwarebytes 3.0 Known Issues
Malwarebytes 3.0 Support Forum

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/191748-announcing-malwarebytes-30-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

Okay so I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043 & the AV database version is v2016.12.08.16. Although I don't want a trial of the pro at all because my real-time protection solution is MSE.

2: Why don't I see the scanner only free version download on their site anymore?

If you want to download and install the latest Malwarebytes 3.0, you need to uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1 first, yes.
The free version still exists. When you download Malwarebytes 3.0 from the website, it'll go in a 14 days trial mode for the Premium version (that you can disable), after which it'll revert back to the free version.

https://malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 chezler

chezler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:30 PM

O.K. Does this mean my Malwarebytes Pro will no longer be supported (I have a lifetime license), will I be expected to buy the new version to get updates. Is this why I had to disable Anti-Exploit just to get my browser to open? 

I won't be buying anything like this any time soon. I have over 850 days left on my current internet security program.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:00 PM

Malwarebytes 3.0 comes in Premium, Trial and Free versions.

Is there still a FREE Malwarebytes? What will it include?
Yes! We still firmly believe that everyone has a fundamental right to a malware-free existence, and that’s not changing. Malwarebytes 3.0 Free will have the same capabilities as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, but with a 3x to 4x scan speed improvement.

What if I decide not to upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0?
Per our new Lifecycle Policy that will go into effect on the Malwarebytes 3.0 GA date, Consumer versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will reach End of Sale and End of Maintenance as of the Malwarebytes 3.0 GA date. This means we will no longer sell or renew these versions, and we are not planning to release any more software updates. Technical support will be limited to supporting existing functionality as of that date. End of Life for these versions will be exactly 6 months from the Malwarebytes 3.0 GA date. Users may choose not to upgrade and continue to use older versions after the End of Life date if they wish, but they do so at their own risk, since we can’t guarantee that ongoing protection updates will be available.

I have a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware lifetime license. Will it work for Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium?
Yes! Malwarebytes 3.0 can simply be installed on top of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and a lifetime license will automatically apply to Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium.

Malwarebytes 3.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Everyone please read the FAQs which covers most questions. There is an entire section on Existing Subscriptions.

New in Malwarebytes 3.0
Upgrading to Malwarebytes 3.0
Pricing
Antivirus Replacement
Existing Subscriptions

#10 chezler

chezler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

Thanks, quietman, just read through the FAQ's you linked. Very helpful. Going to install it right now.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

You're welcome and good luck.

#12 chezler

chezler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

Update on MB 3.0 upgrade.

Have Win 7 Pro.   Have Kaspersky Total Internet Security. Had MBAM Pro 2.2.XXX. with lifetime license, Anti-Exlpoit Free, and Anti-Ransomeware.

3.0 installed, after it removed the other three, without a hitch. All I had to do was hit the "Activate" button. Done. It put in my Key Code for me, and shows I have Lifetime license.

Ran a scan, and it is many times faster than the older version.

No issues with my AV.

I'm happy.

Thanks 

#13 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

I had paid antimalware, and free antiexploit. I got an error when trying to run the Ver 3  installer, but read a tip on the Malwarebytes forum, to add a file to Malware exceptions. I did this, version 3 installed, and its running fine.

#14 RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY

• Security Developer
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

I had paid antimalware, and free antiexploit. I got an error when trying to run the Ver 3  installer, but read a tip on the Malwarebytes forum, to add a file to Malware exceptions. I did this, version 3 installed, and its running fine.

We've identified this as an issue and are going to get it fixed in a release soon.

For anyone asking, Malwarebytes still has a free mode after the trial expires. You can run it on demand and detect and remove all the malware your heart desires.

Marcin Kleczynski
Malwarebytes CEO

#15 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 09:56 PM

If you want to download and install the latest Malwarebytes 3.0, you need to uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1 first, yes.
The free version still exists. When you download Malwarebytes 3.0 from the website, it'll go in a 14 days trial mode for the Premium version (that you can disable), after which it'll revert back to the free version.

https://malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Thanks but it didn't fully answer my question, is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043 obsolete now or can I continue using it as a second opinion scanner?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users