Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson Printer Problems, Google Cloud

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 xJames

xJames

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/634068/epson-printer-turns-itself-off-shortly-after-being-turned-on - Hamluis.

I have the same issue - the cause? Google Cloud Print service.

To fix head to this URL - https://www.google.com/cloudprint/#printers

Select your printer and click Delete.

Google and Epson have been made aware of this issue, and are both working to fix (source: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/525W6rnP5Dc)

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2016 - 07:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DrMac

DrMac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

Google and Epson have been made aware of this issue, and are both working to fix (source: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/525W6rnP5Dc)

Epson WP-4540 with the same problems as everyone else.

After deleting the device from Google Cloud Print as suggested above, it does NOT fix the problem.

As soon as the printer connects to wi-fi, it automatically reboots, even with it now deleted.

Only fix I have been able to come up with is to disconnect the printer from wi-fi completely and print from our cpu with a LONG USB cord...........(SIGH)

#3 rbutka

rbutka

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

New to the forum and have the same issue with my Epson WF-7610 . Started yesterday when I return home from work. Did a google search to find this forum with everyone else having the same issue. Thought my printer was dead and it's not even a year old. Did some preliminary testing and sure enough had the same issue. After I turned of my wifi router the printer starts up and stays on. Will reset or disable when I return home today. Great thread and responses from everyone.

#4 Jeninden

Jeninden

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:23 AM

After deleting the device from Google Cloud Print as suggested above, it does NOT fix the problem.

As soon as the printer connects to wi-fi, it automatically reboots, even with it now deleted.

Only fix I have been able to come up with is to disconnect the printer from wi-fi completely and print from our cpu with a LONG USB cord...........(SIGH)

I also had to (with router unplugged as you won't get very far if printer connects to wifi):

1.) Go into the printer menu to the "settings" icon (mine had a picture of a screwdriver and wrench)

2.) Go into Google Cloud Print Services

3.) Select Resume/Suspend

4.) Select Suspend

It seems also doing a reset to factory/default settings has worked for many (likely switches Google print off) - I didn't want to have to reset up on wifi so just cut the Google Cloud Print service.

#5 DrMac

DrMac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

I also had to (with router unplugged as you won't get very far if printer connects to wifi):

1.) Go into the printer menu to the "settings" icon (mine had a picture of a screwdriver and wrench)

2.) Go into Google Cloud Print Services

3.) Select Resume/Suspend

4.) Select Suspend

It seems also doing a reset to factory/default settings has worked for many (likely switches Google print off) - I didn't want to have to reset up on wifi so just cut the Google Cloud Print service.

Google Cloud Print Services is not an option (at least that I can find) in the settings menu of the 4540.

I did do a reset to the factory/default settings and that seems to have done the job (for now).

#6 catnmouse

catnmouse

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

7610 here with the same issue. Removing the printer from Google Cloud Print, then unplugging the router, then booting the Epson and disabling Google Print Services, then finally plugging the router back in resolved my issue. Thanks much.

#7 rplst8

rplst8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

They closed that thread over on the Google product forums.  How will we know when the problem is fixed?  Anyone have a bug tracker link for it?

#8 Jeninden

Jeninden

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:21 AM

WF-3540 on MacBook Pro: 

After fixing the restart cycle issue yesterday by suspending Google Print Services on the printer menu - I tried printing this morning and my printer keeps saying offline.  The green wifi light on and wifi bars showing on printer. 

I discovered a firmware update from 2/16 (via the webapp), so did this and tried printing again.  Nothing - still saying offline.  I deleted the printer and re-added..printer showed idle, but job still not printing. 

I tried to resume Google print services from the printer and printer completely locked up again.  It seems between Google/Epson they STILL haven't fixed the bug.  Pulled power from router, suspended GPS and tried all over again.  Now I'm able to print again via wifi.  WTF?

Really crazy that neither Google/Epson are putting out any info to update us, etc... 

#9 cat_mom

cat_mom

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:32 AM

Just adding a +1 to this problem in case Epson is looking. Found the thread via search engine. Woke in early morning December 6 to printer beeping and cycling through print and shutoff. Turned off printer and thought cats had simply stepped on buttons and messed something up. 

Fast forward to later in the day I noticed my printer had an error in the dock on my Mac. (My laptop had been closed overnight). There was a document in the print queue I hadn't opened or touched in well over a year queued to be print. I dismissed it quickly thinking it was just an error but then I remembered the shenanigans of the morning.....

And now all this Google Cloud Print stuff and I'm fairly certain there's a vulnerability. Wipe your printer and do a firmware reset. Clear the RAM etc.

Edited by cat_mom, 07 December 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#10 cat_mom

cat_mom

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

And it goes without saying don't reinstall Google Cloud Print, at least not until some kind of statement comes out about this. I know I won't be using it in my home. 

Also, change all your passwords in the house...do all your good hygiene just to be safe. This was truly bizarre. I thought I was going nuts when I saw this document in my print queue. I would have had no reason to open it let alone print it in over a year. It was resurrected from the dead. And it had highly personal information in it.

Edited by cat_mom, 07 December 2016 - 11:47 AM.

#11 Tom92024

Tom92024

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

Add me to the list. Yesterday, my (previously reliable) Epson WorkForce 3620 started shutting-down, and re-cycling constantly.

I haven't received an Epson firmware update in weeks, so I didn't think it was a bug on their end, but now it looks as if Google has acknowledged an issue with CloudPrint, and are "working with Epson" to identify & correct the issue (watch this thread for updates):

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/chromebook-central/525W6rnP5Dc/and5Hd-BCwAJ

In the mean-time, I'm just leaving mine off. I can't imagine how much ink I wasted through all the re-initializations!

#12 Jeffdavidmarie

Jeffdavidmarie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

WF-3540:  I was able to go into the menu on my printer (with my router unplugged and after deleting my printer from Google cloud) - selected the "setup option with the pic of a screwdriver and wrench (had to arrow over on menu) and then under this I found Google Cloud Print Services.  I touched this and then "Suspend/resume" and Suspended that sucker.  Plugged router back in.  Printer is working now/not rebooting. 

Crazy that Google can manipulate the hardware in our homes...

Not only crazy that they can do this - imagine that they intend to manage a network of driverless cars!!!

Thank you so much for adding this last step, needed to solve the problem, at least in a WF 3450.

#13 RVAPhotoGirl

RVAPhotoGirl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

Same problem as everyone else.  Finally got the printer to stop cycling on/off and next thing I know random stuff is printing!  Seems to be some sort of baseball sign-in sheet from our county high school.  While I do have a son using a school issued Chrome book and Google, he is in middle NOT high school and doesn't play baseball!  File not in my local computer queue so was not even able to delete the job.  FRUSTRATING

#14 cat_mom

cat_mom

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:21 PM

Same problem as everyone else.  Finally got the printer to stop cycling on/off and next thing I know random stuff is printing!  Seems to be some sort of baseball sign-in sheet from our county high school.  While I do have a son using a school issued Chrome book and Google, he is in middle NOT high school and doesn't play baseball!  File not in my local computer queue so was not even able to delete the job.  FRUSTRATING

This is critical info. here. You're the first person to relay info to what I'm experiencing. Random stuff queue'ing up to print that I did not send to the printer. But the stuff on the queue was at least my document at one point in time. 

#15 JCP8

JCP8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

The ease of fixing this depends on which Epson printer you have but seems to be affecting all of the Wifi enabled.  I would think Epson could at least send out an email to their customers and detail a fix.  Especially if we are in danger of being hacked (by Russians im sure).  But seriously they should be notifying all Epson customers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users