Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacked Mouse?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tash

tash

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:22 AM

While Im on the internet, sometimes my mouses moves to the top menu and clicks on the File menu; I always stop it before if it goes any further! alarming !! (I thought I was imagining it at first!)

any ideas what it is? a virus? I have a Belkin laser mouse with windows XP (528Ram and 23GigROM).
whilst we are trying to solve this problem should i not use my banking facilities?

thank you very much for any help .....! tash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

Last month, my Logitech wireless laser mouse started acting buggy, floating around at random times and not responsive. I felt like you, that a keylogger had somehow hijacked my computer right before my eyes and believe me, I immediately commenced to run a barrage of AV scans, rootkit and a bunch of stuff. I've already got three programs that block keylogging. Anyway, that lasted all day but nothing was detected.

That mouse floating crap was driving me nuts, and no, I didn't type NO passwords.

The next day, a thought that maybe it was the mouse. I noticed that a tiny, faint red light on top of the mouse glowed dimmly, fading in and out. I had never really paid it much mind. So, I looked in the book and it said this indicated a low battery.

Well I'll be damned. I bought the mouse six months ago and this is the first time the battery needed changing. I change the AA battery and WHOA LA!! No more floating mouse (mine also tended toward the 'files' tab, but, it never actually "clicked" on anything).

Are you sure about the clicking part? I've never heard of this. And hey, next time it clickes on Files, let it go on to see what it clicks on next! Let me know (ha)!

Anyways, try changing the battery. CilyPudi must go to bed now. Good luck.
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#3 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

if its a wirelss mouse try chaging the battery. if i where you i would realy do a virus, spyware, and malware scan... just incase.
ROOTKITS BAD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users