Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Restarting - Kernel-Power ID 41 - gaming specific

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ekesh_Okor

Ekesh_Okor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:30 AM

Hi everyone,

This will be my first post with Bleeping Computer and even though i have seen quite a few topics on the same issue, as none of them resolved my problem and i did not wish to hijacks some's issue or bump an old topic, here i am :)

Note: i have attached perfmon.zip, SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip, admin.evtx and system_info.txt in the zip file accompanying this post. Full system parts can also be found at: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PMfXJV  (link needs to be copy/paste in the URL bar - the direct link seems to get a 404)

First, some basics: the build i am currently using has been put together in January 2016 from individual parts (new). OS installed by myself on blank SSD (Windows 10 Enterprise N). The system was stable for the better part of the whole year while i used both as a gaming rig, as well as software developer/work desktop. Some of the games i played at top settings (Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor, Tom Clancy Siege, Starcraft II, The Witcher 3, Battleborn, Metal Gear Solid V and Battlefield 1 - not a massive gamer just like options :) ).

My problems first appeared in October around the 22nd and they presented themselves as sudden restarts (or better put shutdown and immediate power up) while gaming. The most specific things i remember about that time was that i installed a new keyboard (K70 RGB Corsair) and the nVidia drivers were updated - can't remember if there was a Windows update and update history is not telling me that far back for some reason.

Now, these restarts were sporadic happening a maximum of 5 times in Siege since then, but more often it happened with Battlefield 1 (at least 1 in a 2 hour session). Because of the infrequency i blamed it on bad drivers and just waited out for nVidia to come up with new stuff. But recently i wanted to try Witcher 3 again (which i did not play since summer when i logged more than 20 hours without issue) and to my surprise the game starts just fine, cinematics are just good, but when actual gameplay starts -> restart. Each and every time like clockwork. Tried new game, different load, installed GOTY version, same thing. 

Now since the game worked just fine before October and no issues whatsoever and then the restarts i had with Battlefield 1 this triggered the 'panic' mode and i realized something else might be at fault here. As such i started researching all i could on issues concerning Kernel-power ID 41 with no bugcheck error. More often then not the consensus lied on a hardware fault and before i start RMAing top candidates (right now i'm thinking PSU has the highest chances) I wanted to get an opinion and advice based on what i did so far to troubleshoot - and the fact that i'm at my wits end and don't know how to proceed without starting to each one part at a time until i identify the problem. 

So, troubleshooting steps (assume all failed to resolve if no details specified):

• BIOS update to the latest version
  • reverted back nVidia drivers to multiple versions since July 2016 (used Display Driver Uninstaller to be sure)
  • concentrated on Witcher 3 because this one is the only faithfully replicable scenario and as such tested multiple graphic settings, both the GOTY version and the original version i used during summer
    • interesting here was that if i lowered the resolution and ran it in windowed mode it seemed that it was stable (which got me thinking this might be a temp problem - to follow)
  • thinking that something happened with the system hardware wise (temp spikes, faulty PSU, faulty CPU etc) i went on a stress test rampage
    • IntelBurn on very high - CPU got in the 90 (Celsius) - never did so on any games i ran - nothing happened
    • FurMark - ran for more than 5 minutes - GPU went into 72  C stable - all good
    • MemTest86 - all 13 tests - 4 passes - no errors
  • Still suspecting this might be PSU related, took all the cables apart and put them back together - still no resolution
  • disconnected everything from the mobo apart from the CPU and put it back together - nothing

At this point i was calling it quits and was preparing to reinstall Windows (hoping it was a bad driver somewhere), but since I kept having the feeling of a spike happening (more than likely voltage related) i decided to give one last shot, the results of which brought me here cause i really don't know how to interpret this:

• opened my case and disconnected all cases fans (except CPU of course) - lo and behold - the game started working - decent 10 minutes - nothing happened - so i thought, okay one of the fans might be bad. Current fan setup is:
    • Noctua on Case Fan Pin1
    • Case included fan on Case Fan pin 2
    • case fan controller (it's a 3 step button - comes with the case) powered by a molex connector connects all other fans via 2 pin connectors 
  • so to troubleshoot i start connecting fans one by one. game works until i connect all the molex powered fans - game starts restarting the PC again
  • so i take out 2 molex fans and put back the Case Pin fans - still restarts
  • take out case fans and go back to molex fans and fidget with them again until i think i have either a faulty cable or faulty fan - so i leave out those parts and start the game with only one case fan working - surprise - game restarts again - which did not happened a few steps ago
  • i remove again all the fans just like i did the first time - game still restarts - so my bewilderment grows
  • last chance - i remove the entire PERF power cable from the PSU and the game still restarts the PC

At this point i am unsure what to do next except reinstalling Windows and giving it a try on a non-updated non-used system and if that is still a problem, warranty the PSU and keep my fingers crossed. 

So, any help would be very appreciated as i think i have exhausted all convenient methods of testing (i have a few friends with similar rigs but since i'm leaving on a business trip on Saturday, it's a bit hard to coordinate exchange of parts to test out the hardware). 

Attached Files

Edited by Ekesh_Okor, 08 December 2016 - 06:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:03 AM

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
In short, it's an error that occurs because Windows doesn't know why it shut down.  This can be due to hardware, compatibility, or even low-level drivers

Temp issues - if the CPU gets into the 90's, then there's something not cooling it properly.
It's not a critical error, but it suggests (to me) that you're cooling solution isn't working all that well.
I have not run the Intel Burn Test in a very long time, so things may have changed.

If you wish to check, run Prime95's Blend, Small FFT's and Large FFT's tests and see where the temps get up to (I am familiar with that test).

Also, try these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

You've already run most of the tests, but I'd like you to run the 2nd set of video tests (the "other" video tests)

In particular, the OCCT test also has a PSU test.  So you can try testing your PSU with that.

The event log shows repeated dbxsvc errors around the time of each shutdown.
Please uninstall DropBox and make sure that the DropBox service is no longer in services.msc

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P2.70) dates from  May of 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Is there any reason that you remain at the Fall Update (1511/build 10586) instead of updating to the Anniversary Update (1607/build 14393)?

Other than that,  you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS.  Please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Other than that, please try running Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html
I have no reason for running it, other than a hunch - but if it does find something, it'll be worth the trouble.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ekesh_Okor

Ekesh_Okor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

Thank you for the response. I will try to get to as many of the suggestions as possible today. I'm leaving on business tomorrow till Feb so it might take some time till i check all.

What i managed to already check is that my Windows didn't update because it's Enterprise and I can only go to 1607 if i have the new ISO from MSDN. Looking into that now.

#4 Ekesh_Okor

Ekesh_Okor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:24 AM

Small update on what i managed to check before running out of time:

• Reinstalled Windows to 10 Pro and update to latest - brand new install of Witcher 3 - no change - restarted in the same spot 
  • replaced the memory with 2 dims from a friend that has a similar system which runs Witcher 3 (same version) - no change - restarted in the same spot
  • ran Small FFTs for 2.5 hours - no errors
  • ran OCCT until CPU went over 85 C - no errors (about 25/30 minutes)
    • the CPU goes over 85 in stress tests (only) because i don't have a water cooler, only stock - but i have seen no game that took it over 75 C (even before i had this problems)

I'll go through the rest when i get back in February. In the meantime if i can get everything in order i might have my friends RMA the PSU for me as something in my gut is telling me, for now, that has the highest chance to be the problem here.

Moderator: please don't close the topic as i will be back and responding in Feb.

Edited by Ekesh_Okor, 10 December 2016 - 02:27 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

The point of the tests is to see if the system stabilizes under stress.

Does the temp level off at 85ºC, or does it keep rising.
If it keeps rising, then I'd think that there was a cooling system problem.

No matter how long I work on this sort of stuff - one thing is clear....

More problems are solved by the owner/user than by anything else.

As such, I cannot discount your gut feeling about the PSU (FYI, the OCCT test has a PSU test built into it - have you run that?)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Ekesh_Okor

Ekesh_Okor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:18 AM

Hi everyone,

first of all thanks for the responses i received before my long trip from which i am currently back from.

As an update on my machine, let's just say fate is very ironic. I ordered a new PSU before my arrival as i wanted to make sure i test out that component and if my guess was right have something to replace it with. On top of that my housemate just changed his PSU so i had 2 to play with...problem is: computer is just FINE! No errors, no restarts, resets etc. The Witcher 3 which killed it every time it loaded, has no problem anymore (ran for 35 minutes plus and nothing). I even put it through Overwatch at maximum everything for 3+ hours and nothing. Still have to reinstall Battlefield 1 and try that as well.

I'm perplexed. The only this that happened was that the PC stayed unused for 7 weeks and a Windows update happened right after i began using it again (which i know can be a big deal, but i am unsure if this could have been caused by a W10 issue)

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:42 AM

Intermittent faults are very hard to diagnose.

I'd just accept it for now and see what happens.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users