Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Windows Update Folders showing up on my C Drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xtype

xtype

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:46 AM

Hi all

I have windows update folders appearing on my W7 Pro C Drive which are updated every day
anyone seen these? I have auto update turned off as I now verify updates before I install. 

Here is an example of one.

Folder Name: 

19a7c22bea586d875b1d
C:\19a7c22bea586d875b1d

Windows6.1-KB3172605-x86-pkgProperties.txt
8 September 2016 18:21:14
490 bytes

Windows6.1-KB3172605-x86.cab
8 September 2016 18:20:12
18.12 MB

Windows6.1-KB3172605-x86.xml
8 September 2016 18:21:14
444 bytes

WSUSSCAN.cab
8 September 2016 18:31:32
203.45 KB

Thanks in Advance.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:29 AM

Hi:

I think those are "leftovers" from failed WU attempts, where the installer does not clean up properly after itself.

See here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371372(VS.85).aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/402132-manual-win-update-folder-remnants-safe-delete.html

I just created a restore point and a system image (to be safe) and then manually deleted them.

I did not use the "update cleanup" patch (KB2852386), because I had heard mixed reviews about that particular patch.

If you check around at computer fora, I think you'll find several other reports of this behavior.

Most of them trace back to the issues that started several months ago with the WU client and the perpetual "checking for updates" problem.

Once I fixed that issue by installing KB3172605, I no longer saw those ghost folders being created.

HTH,

MM

#3 xtype

xtype
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for that. How long ago did you install KB3172605?

I have been staying away from it even Woody recons its suspect!!!

xt...

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:56 AM

Hi:

KB3172605 has been perfectly safe for many, many folks.

In fact, if you look here at bleeping, at sevenforums.com, and at many other sites/communities, you'll see that it appears to be the one patch that fixes the perpetual "checking for updates" issue that plagued so many Win7 users for many months.

While Woody L is generally on the money, the information you're looking at for this particular update may be a few months outdated???

(Yes, I think they have updated the update once or twice since it was originally published.  I think there was something buggy about it originally, although I don't recall what that was.)

I installed it a few months ago on both Win7 boxes -- no problems with the installation and (as mentioned) it fixed the WU client issue.

I do not have a VM or test box on which to test the theory that more recent rollups (KB3185330 and/or KB3197868) will also fix the WU client problem, so that you can skip KB3172605.

I installed both of those, but only AFTER I had installed KB3172605.

Getting back to the original question, you should be OK deleting those weird folders in the root directory - they seem to relate to the WU client problem we experienced.

Deleting them worked for me and many other folks.

And I have not seen similar folders in the C:\ directory since then.

To be cautious, you can create a system restore point and a system image (and data backups) before you do.

IIRC I left the folders in the recycle bin for a day or so before permanently deleting them.

I understand the healthy skepticism.

It's up to you, of course and YMMV, as I cannot predict what's on your system or how it will behave.

Just sayin' what worked for me and for others.

Cheers,

MM

#5 xtype

xtype
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:38 AM

Thank you for the info MM .....

1 user(s) are reading this topic