Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building my first PC game with a 600$ CANADIAN Budget NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dambro

Dambro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:11 AM

Hi!

So I decided to build my first pc game with a budget of 600$ CAD (max +40$ CAD) and I was wondering if I can get some suggestions. I would like to be able to play battlefield 1, the division, dark souls 3 and the newer titles coming next year. Mostly, I look something good/decent for medium gaming.

I don't need a monitor/mouse/keyboard and I already have a HDD and optical drive. 

This is my current build I was thinking but it’s over my budget. (all the price is from amazon.ca)

CPU:  Intel Core i3-6100 (160$)

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A (70$)

GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1060 Mini 3GB GDDR5 (262$)

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) (68$)

CASE: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-M2 (85$)

PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ (52$)

TOTAL: 697$ CAD

If anyone could suggest me a better build for less cost it would be really appreciated! And, any others advices for my first build would be also appreciated!

Thanks for reading and please don’t hesitate to suggest changes!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:11 AM

my self id probably do something like this, and im just using newegg for pricing.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz: $95 "overclock close to5000mgz, weaker in single core code then the I3 but whats single core anymore when it comes to new games"

mobo: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ : $80 full ATX mobo, i don't like minis

PSU: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ (52$) that's fine no change good price

Case: whatever you want that's cheap, same deal don't like minis myself,i like big server cases but that's just me, i like to get lots of junk in my case. $100

Ram: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model PV316G160C0KBL: $80 don't see the point of mega fast ram, costs piles and doesn't change much in overall benchmarks.

Cooler: some all in one liquid setup, don' like heat my self $100

total $ 505, $100~$175 left for video card and id probably go used here seeing as today's $500 card is a $100 card in a feu years.

keep in mind im not doing hardcore research on the topic, if it were a system for me id be all over reviews, for insentience i don't know what hot or not for AMD chipset wise atm.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/processors/amd-fx-6300-1137699/review

Edited by shadow_647, 08 December 2016 - 06:15 AM.

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

If you're prepared to buy from multiple retailers for the best price, here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JhXKKZ

i3 6100 is a decent chip, single core speed is still the leading factor but in the future, I'd recommend getting an i5 in the future

MOBO is fine, it's an intel chipset which means there are more options to upgrade (unless AMD Zen architecture is compatiable with AM3 socket types)

With RAM, you only need 16 GB if you play 1440p or over, 8 GB will be sufficient

An RX 480 has practically the same core speed but has an extra GB of VRAM which is better

The case is something you may want to do some research in, if it's your first build then getting a relatively large case will make it easier for you

PSU is fine really

Do you have an OS and WiFi/Ethernet card? If you need an OS then you will have to make a few sacrifices.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:02 PM

If you need an OS then you will have to make a few sacrifices.

He could play on Ubuntu12 or SteamOS for awhile. Steam lists having over 2800 game supported for it. So it might not be a bad move to use it to save money till windows can be gotten at a later date. 

If he buys a used OEM motherboard, the windows licence is tied to them. So he could get windows for free that way. 

So I decided to build my first pc game with a budget of 600$ CAD (max +40$ CAD) and I was wondering if I can get some suggestions. 

http://www.kijiji.ca/

Kijiji is your friend. If you want to get the most out of your dollar, like you seem to want to do, then buying used isn't always a bad idea. 

If it's something you're unsure about or have never done before. I'd advise you to check out Oafah on Youtube. The channel is dedicated to making videos on how to buy used parts in Canada. In one of his videos he put together a machine for 86$CAD that could run MadMax. The used market is the place to go to if you're desperate for performance. 

Edited by SEANIA, 08 December 2016 - 12:02 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Although a budget of around $600 is enough to run most, if not, all games at 1080p. New parts will always be better than used parts due to a better lifespan and they are more likely to come with warranty.

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2016 - 05:53 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

Did someone say lets go used and use kijiji and cregslist and the like, hehe love that kind of thing its so cheap and you can get relly good deals.

I love building computers from scrap.

Thing is i can get a cpu like the one hes thinking about "twin core" for cheap used and their common and overclock like mad, i know i have one.

CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400, Socket: LGA775
(6M Cache, 3.0 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB): 15$ "overclocks to 4000mgz on air" at 4000mgz it should be decent vs the i3-6100,

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-composants-de-systeme/ville-de-montreal/cpu:e2200-e4500-e4600-e6300-e6420-e6750-e7400-e7500-e8400/1222711478?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Or

Q9400 $20 3500mgz overclock with out trying to hard "need good cooler"

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-composants-de-systeme/ville-de-montreal/4-core-special-cpu-processeur-intel-core-2-quad-q6600-q9400/1222795265?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

gamer gigabite mobo + decent heat sink + ram "sadly 4gigs" + "super weak cpu" $50 id sell the ram and cpu or keep it for spair parts.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-composants-de-systeme/ville-de-montreal/combo-cpu-ram-motherboard/1220098628?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Corsair H55 water cooler $55

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-components/ville-de-montreal/corsair-h55-intel-amd-1x-120mm-1700-rpm-liquid-cooler/1221237125?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

DDR2 2GB 800 / 6400 : 10$ spécial 2 pour 16$ so $32 for 8 gigs rams cheap anyways all most better off getting new and 4gig sticks.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-composants-de-systeme/ville-de-montreal/memoire-ram-pour-pc-1gb-2gb-ddr2-667-800/1222759085?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

case $25

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-components/ville-de-montreal/computer-case/1217831816?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2gigs video ram $130 used

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2gb $80 used

total with out psu: about $300~$350 includs tax

My self id probly go biger on the PSU like 750watts and qualty, that will cost ya but you can move it from PC to Pc over the years, good PSU all ways usefull.

#7 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:19 PM

Only thing I'd change is the CPU as it can't compare to the i3 because it doesn't have hyper-threading. This means that it will be only dual core and will not fare well on multi-threaded applications. You don't need a 750 watt PSU as a 500 watt PSU is more than enough for most components (unless OP wanted to spend on an SLI configuration).

#EDIT: looking at the benchmarks, I'd doubt 4 Ghz would do well and it would most likely bottleneck a decent graphics card: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-E4500-vs-Intel-Core-i3-6100/m65vs3511. You'd need a miracle in overclocking to even come close toa CPU that has a 300% better processing speed

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2016 - 05:50 PM.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

Hyper-threading is only good for code that uses more then one core or in the case of the I3 more then 2 seeing as it only has 2 and the cpu i would go for that i recommended was a Q9400 overclocked to 3500mhz ish the twin core E8400 just not worth it for new games as is the case now with most twin cores, the i3 2 core won't be 300% faster then a Q9400 running at 3500mgz 4 core with a game made to use 4 cores, as well the i3 costs like $160 plus tax the other one is $20 with tax.

Big savings

On this chart the i3 6100 pulls off 6500 points the Q9400 pulls off 4200 points at stock speed so once overclocked it should be about the same as the I3 best i can tell only its going for $20 at the moment so cheap.

funny thing is on this benchmark the twin cores do the same thing vs the 4 cores score wise if you look at same cpu type only one 2 core the other 4 core, makes me wonder how many cores their benchmark uses.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:00 AM

If this is a gaming PC, you probably don't want to use Linux due to compatibility and the need for DirectX.  You may be able to run some games under WINE, but you should use Windows for the operating system. 

You really can't build that system for less and a copy of Windows 10 will add another $100 onto the price.

3939.png

#10 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hyper-threading is only good for code that uses more then one core or in the case of the I3 more then 2 seeing as it only has 2 and the cpu i would go for that i recommended was a Q9400 overclocked to 3500mhz ish the twin core E8400 just not worth it for new games as is the case now with most twin cores, the i3 2 core won't be 300% faster then a Q9400 running at 3500mgz 4 core with a game made to use 4 cores, as well the i3 costs like $160 plus tax the other one is $20 with tax.

Big savings

On this chart the i3 6100 pulls off 6500 points the Q9400 pulls off 4200 points at stock speed so once overclocked it should be about the same as the I3 best i can tell only its going for $20 at the moment so cheap.

funny thing is on this benchmark the twin cores do the same thing vs the 4 cores score wise if you look at same cpu type only one 2 core the other 4 core, makes me wonder how many cores their benchmark uses.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html

Actually, hyperthreading means that all your cores are busy meaning a greater CPU performance. Also, overclocking it won't give it a massive performance increase. Say we overclocked the Q9400 to the same frequency as the i3-6100 (3.7 GHz). The i3 would still be quite a bit faster (especially in terms of single core performance which is still the leading factor in games, although more engines are using every core) as the Q9400 utilizes a Yorkfield CPU architecture as opposed to the i3's Skylake Architecture. Another factor to consider is that you would have to get that motherboard with a older LGA775 socket which severely limits any upgrade potential for your CPU in the future as opposed to the LGA1151 the i3 uses. Using the latter would mean that in the future, you'd be able to upgrade to an i5 or i7 if need be.

I'm not saying your list is bad and I'm sure it would be a decent build but all factors have to be taken into consideration as we can't rely on the price as the best factor for a PC.

If this is a gaming PC, you probably don't want to use Linux due to compatibility and the need for DirectX.  You may be able to run some games under WINE, but you should use Windows for the operating system. 

You really can't build that system for less and a copy of Windows 10 will add another $100 onto the price.

The only other option would be the Steam OS but the reviews aren't exactly amazing for it. A copy of windows 10 would mean sacrificing the GPU mainly and a few other components but it would still be a very strong build. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9QBNxY 

Edited by Planemaster2, 09 December 2016 - 12:11 PM.

#11 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

Actually, hyper-threading its just hardware emulation of more cores then you really have to better optimize your cpu for use with threaded code vs single thread code.

It douse nothing for single thread code and in some cases use to cause problems with some games in the past like battlefield 2 and even make things slow down in single thread code, its bin around since the Pentium 4 and in the Pentium 4 years did little really seeing as everything software wise was single thread code.

Your right, the dirt cheap used system idea your maxed out cpu/mobo wise and when it gets older and runs out of steam you'll have to replace more hardware in your box then with the intel I3 setup ram/board/cpu vs just cpu, im really impressed with how strong that I3 is but its costly at $160+tax for a twin core.

When it comes to single threaded code the I3 will spank the older Intel quad cpu core and even the AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 5000mgz hehe well maybe, at the same time you could overclockthe I3 to +1000mgz ish in this mode it crush the older Intel quad core.

At the same time the top of the line AMD FX-8370 black box cpu "unlocked" is only like $200 so + $40 then the I3.

AMD really pushing hard price wise to push their cpus.

From the benchmarks here the AMD FX-8370 black box "unlocked" Vishera core cpu  douse very well and for way cheaper then the intel i7, meaning the 6 core version isn't that bad for gaming and is $40 cheaper then the I3 though you need good cooling for the 6 core the I3 just need some decent air cooler and its good to go, the stock one that comes with the cpu is a wast of space.

Interesting shootout review here of the top of the line AMD vs top of the line Intel, AMD $200 dollar cpu vs intel $1000 cpu, AMD 5X times cheaper and just about as good.

http://www.technologyx.com/featured/amd-vs-intel-our-8-core-cpu-gaming-performance-showdown/

More cores vs less review

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039552/hardware/tested-how-many-cpu-cores-you-really-need-for-directx-12-gaming.html

#12 Dambro

Dambro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

Whoa Thanks guys for all the informations and researchs! It's really appreciate !

First time that i'm using a forum and it's nice to see all yours responses ! I'm very grateful for your help !

I've also watched tons of videos and it's crazy that a 500$ USD pc build could cost maybe ~ 800$ CAD.. and it's only an entry level pc game.

That's make me want just to buy a console... but meh.. most of my friends play on pc. 

And yes I already have a win7 copy and wifi usb adapter that I could use..but thanks for the suggestion about Ubuntu12 or SteamOS.. I didn't know about these Os before!! Also, I must admit that 600$ CAD it's maybe not enough for a legit pc game. But I was thinking to upgrade eventually in future..with a ssd and a better processor. 

I'm a very begginer in the world of pc building so I don't know very much about overcloaking but I guess I can find how to do it on google!

Yes, I will definitly check on pcpartpicker and kijiji .. I might underestimated the power of kijiji lol. I might also wait for christmas sales. I think I could find good deals. 

well in the last thing, I need to re-read all yours posts and compile all the informations.. hehe ! 

p.s. sorry, my english is bad

p.s.2 I'll try to post and show you my final build completed

Thanks again for everything !

#13 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:03 AM

$600 CAD is certainly enough for a decent gaming PC. Especially as you have the OS (Windows 7 will be better than those other OS's) and a few other components. As show in one of my previous lists, you could fit an RX 480 4GB in that budget which is a powerhouse at 1080p and can play some games at 1440p.

In response to the posts about intel and upgradability, one thing I forgot was that AMD are releasing new CPU's in 2017 which should be a worthy upgrade in the future. So I'd strongly recommend going with the i3/5/7 series of intel or AMD's FX series rather than the older Core 2 Duo as it may be more cost worthy in the long run because you'll only replace the CPU rather than the CPU, Motherboard and RAM.

But really, just experiment around with sites mentioned and see what you can find.

#EDIT: For example this build would be able to play all games on 1080p resolution and it sits within your budget. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/M4WM4C

##EDIT: Unfortunately, AMD Zen isn't compatiable with AM3+ Sockets so upgradabiliry does decrease with FX series but these CPU's should futureproof your build for a quite a while. If you're really concerned about upgradability then go with the intel i3 for now and save some money for an i5 in the future.

Edited by hamluis, 10 December 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

##EDIT: Unfortunately, AMD Zen isn't compatiable with AM3+ Sockets so upgradabiliry does decrease with FX series but these CPU's should futureproof your build for a quite a while. If you're really concerned about upgradability then go with the intel i3 for now and save some money for an i5 in the future.

Why? Because Intel CPU prices rarely get lower, it very rarely makes sense to upgrade from i3 to i5/i7. If you ever want i5/i7, buy it right away. Buying i3 first just wastes money.

I checked some used prices from Amazon US. i5-3570K $149 and i7-3770K $299. Those CPU's launched 4 and half years ago. Launch prices were around $220 and $330 respectively.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

Whoa Thanks guys for all the informations and researchs! It's really appreciate !

well in the last thing, I need to re-read all yours posts and compile all the informations.. hehe ! 

p.s. sorry, my english is bad

p.s.2 I'll try to post and show you my final build completed

Thanks again for everything !

Looks like OP has all the pertinent info desired.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users