Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random keyboard keys stop working after system restore from Windows 10 to 8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dpguitar

Dpguitar

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:36 PM

I have an HP laptop I've been using for a while but out of nowhere the system pretty much quit working. I couldn't use the search box, task manager and run commands wouldn't even start regardless of how I tried (did tons of research) and did anything I could. Finally decided to try to repair the installation but the damn think kept telling me the drive was locked and nothing I tried could get around that...

Well, I ended up doing a system restore from the recovery partition and it reverted back to Windows 8. Everything worked fine and I even got to the point where I set the user password and was able to get it to start initial updates in hoping that I could go 8.1 then back to 10.

Well, after the first round up updates installed, like 10 of the keys aren't working at all. I've tested them with a live cd as well with the same result. Any idea what caused this and if there is any fix? I don't think it's hardware because there was maybe a 30 minute delay from working to faulty... I've already tried rolling back and updating drivers as well.

Also, can anyone help me figure out how to get back to Windows 10? I got it when it was the free upgrade and now that I was forced to downgrade I'm not sure how to proceed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:52 PM

Unless I am mistaken you should be able to install Windows 10 straight from a Win10 ISO and it will activate automatically when you get online, I used the free upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 also, And have reinstalled it 2 or 3 times on the same laptop Windows 10 was activated on initially, and after each reinstall my Windows 10 automatically activated.

Please note.

I created a Microsoft log account thing, and used the log in details to log into my system, Its not a local account, you know what I mean? All this Windows stuff can get confusing for a old Linux head like me, LOL.

#3 Dpguitar

Dpguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:05 AM

Lol, I know exactly what you mean! Thank you for that advice, I'm downloading win10 right now. Do you think that going back to that OS will restore the keyboards functionality? I just don't see how it would be a hardware issue screwing up from one second to another.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:06 AM

Its Windows...all things are possible..

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,410 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

Do you think that going back to that OS will restore the keyboards functionality? I just don't see how it would be a hardware issue screwing up from one second to another.

I honestly do not know, It could be software or hardware, To quote Condobloke " Its Windows...all things are possible.." you will know when you run the ISO I guess.

Other members will also have some input on this.

If that dont work, rather than messing around with Windows waiting for it to install once let alone twice, we can probably use Puppy Linux booted live from USB stick or CD/DVD to test the hardware.

#6 Dpguitar

Dpguitar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

Finally got to windows 10 and used a Linux boot cd to test as well, no luck. Looks like the thing just randomly quit working. Still don't know why for the life of me.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,712 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:05 PM

As a next step I would go to the hp website and exhaustively search for any drivers that relate specifically to your laptop...in particular the keyboard

and/or.....

go to device manager, and remove the current drivers, then reboot the laptop. Quite often windows gets it wrong when it updates drivers and what you are experiencing is the result.

Alternatively try right clicking the driver in device manager and see if there is a choice to 'roll back' the driver to a previous iteration....

(if the keyboard actually begins to work normally, turn off driver updates.....To access this option, open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel. Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings. Click the Hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and select the “No, let me choose what to do option.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users