Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to run gui programs on debian with no desktop environment?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

I want to know if it is possible to run a gui program, like firefox, without a desktop environment. I am doing this to reserve resources, as this is for a very low end computer. I want you to be able to run firefox from a command line with no desktop environment. Is this possible?

If it is not possible, are there any desktop environments that will not appear until "told to?"

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

Try this

Is it possible to run graphical applications such as Firefox without ...

Start ubuntu without a desktop environment but start an X application

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

If it is not possible, are there any desktop environments that will not appear until "told to?"

Yes, all of them

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

I believe there are extremely minimal DEs (like Blackbox or FluxBox) which are as near as dammit non-existent. I think I'm right in saying that the late-lamented CrunchBang used to use one of these.....

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:03 AM

I want to know if it is possible to run a gui program, like firefox, without a desktop environment.

Yes, you just need a window manager.

The Difference Between Window Managers and Desktop Environments

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Yes a window manager will go.

I personally like jwm as its small but very functional

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 December 2016 - 10:26 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:50 AM

After reading the article that Al posted above, yes there are a small group of users who could benefit from a Windows Manager, rather than a DE. One of the things that I like about the MATE DE of Linux Mint, not much resources used. Xfce provides further resource savings. :)

I am doing this to reserve resources, as this is for a very low end computer.

Could you tell us a little more about your hardware, so that we may can assist you better? It's kind of hard imagining one having a computer that's in use that's older than two of my own (one unused since late 2013). These would be the IBM Thinkpad T42 with 2GB of DDR RAM & I believe a 1.73Ghz single core CPU, the other unused one is a Dell Dimension 2400, with 2GB DDR RAM, and a 3.06Ghz (Northwood) HT CPU. Both of which will still run good if called to duty, though not like the ones I have of 2006 origin or newer. 

If your hardware is older than those (both 2004 models), then you really have an antique on your hands. Still, I believe that even the two computers listed above would benefit from the Windows Manager, solely based upon the description. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users