Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi device disappears

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boodytynan

boodytynan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

Since I updated my broadband to fiber(I want from 12Mbps to about 60Mbps) anytime I'm downloading from Steam after about 5min my wifi device disappears. There's not even an unknown device in device manager.  The only way to fix it is to reset. I tried a lot of things including getting a new wifi device with no luck. I have Windows 7 on the same machine and it has no problems, it's just Window 10.

I haven't a clue, any help welcome.

AMD Phenom II X4 970

GTX 970

16 GB ram

Wosuk Wifi Dongle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CrushImages

CrushImages

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hi there!

So this problem is just on steam and no other software? Have you tried connecting directly to the router to see if the problem exists even without a Wi-Fi connection?

#3 boodytynan

boodytynan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

I have no problem with other software(my other software use a lot less bandwidth). It is not possible to connect directly, i think if that is an issue it would affect Win 7 to.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:16 PM

All you have to do is google Windows 10 wifi problems and you will understand Windows 10 is garbage for Wifi on a lot of computers. Hopefully Microsoft will straighten things out on the next major update.

Some people have reported disabling the LAN adapter in Device Manager helps as 10 gets confused when both are enabled. 

Right click the WIFI adapter in Device Manager, select Properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. There may be a later driver especially if the chipset is Atheros. Realtek used to have Wifi drivers on their site but for some reason dropped them.

Edit: Also make sure your Wifi adapter is set for using maximum power and USB suspend is disabled.

http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-usb-selective-suspend/

Microsoft has a full page of fixes for Windows 10 connection problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2016 - 08:20 PM.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:44 AM

Just in case this thread helps

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/41695-43-losing-internet-connection-large-downloads-help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users