Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Security Shield

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ms Flower

Ms Flower

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:06 AM

Hi to all in cyberspace...wonder if anyone can help...

last week my norton software expired...did a bit of a search and found PC Security ~ in a servy it came out tops and also best value for money / paid by cc and downloaded it all. All seems to be working fine...except the PC on which I downloaded it (my partners desk top) now cannot conenct to the internet.
All very weird / we are wireless in the house, so my email and internet works (hence I can chat to you) his email works...but somehow cannot connect to internet....

Not sure if it is the PC Security software or not, but it's the last thing I changed and then we started having problems....

anyone have any ideas...? would be great to hear from anyone...

thanks
Daisy :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:47 AM

I see that PC Security has something called Internet Lock. Have you checked your settings there? It is possible that it is blocking your internet connection.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:35 AM

Here is what Spyware Warrior had to say about a product called PC Security Shield:

Privacy Defender pcsecurityshield.com false positives work as goad to purchase; poor, misleading scan reporting; deceptive advertising/"scan" on home page (1); advertises through adware (1); recruits affiliates through spam (1); dubious corp. associations (1); same app as Spyblocs 3.0, MySpyFreePC, iSpyKiller, SamuraiSpy, & Spy Crusher; also from this domain: The Shield 2004, PC Security Shield - (Note: other domains associated w/ Privacy Defender include: clixtrader.net, pcsecuritysheild.com, pcsecuritywall.com, pctoolworks2004.com, pctoolworks2005.com, threatlevel.com) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 9-7-05]

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:28 AM

PC Security Shield is regarded as a Rogue Program. The comments buddy215 posted come from here.

Best to uninstall/remove this program and replace it with one that has a proven track record. See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Ms Flower

Ms Flower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

wow...many thanks! Iwas then badly miss informed. I'll do that and let you know what happend.
Thank you very much for your help!
Daisy

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

Your quite welcome. Good luck. :thumbsup:

#7 Ms Flower

Ms Flower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:20 PM

Hello ,

I took everyones advice and tried to uninstall the program; tricky as one section I just could not! So went to System Restore and restored to a point before installation. Also run the Ad-Aware SE virus check ,and it found 75 baddies...!! so deleted them~ and not Internet Explorer works again.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Daisy :thumbsup:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

Glad to hear everythings working again. Don't forget to replace your anti-virus as soon as you can and get a firewall while your at it. After doing that, I recommend that you create a fresh restore point.

#9 Ms Flower

Ms Flower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:03 AM

Very good advice! Just did the restore point. Also did your "cleanmrg", also Avert Stinger and installed free 15 day trial of Zone Alarm's Firewall. Want to see if all ok, before I pay for something again. Where is a good place to see what the rest of the world feel about them?

Thanks again, fantastic platform to chat to people who know!!!
Daisy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users