Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to Remove Leftover Antivirus Program Files

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 justfixit

justfixit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:16 PM

I need to be able to fully uninstall an antivirus program that has had my computer hijacked for 4 days now. It all started when after a virus scan a message came up that it needed to update, which normally happened automatically. When I tried to initiate an update I got a 'general error' message. Other features were working, such as scan, etc., and an add on tuneup program that incorporates into the dashboard when you purchase both the internet security and tuneup programs. The link scanner feature needed the program to be up to date too, so I was concerned to see that there had been no update for more than a week.

Since I have paid subscriptions it includes tech support, so I contacted support via chat. They offered to fix the update issue by remotely connecting to my computer. More than an hour later, after many restarts, and the tech trying several things, he finally said the install files were corrupted, etc. and said it would have to be escalated to a higher level, and he had collected diagnostics for them to check out. Since he had uninstalled my paid version, including the tuneup program, he offered to install the free version to keep me protected in the meantime. But when he tried to install it error messages kept coming up, so he told me I would have to just wait until the other techs could figure out the problem. I asked about my computer being at risk in the meantime, and he said that Windows Defender would be sufficient to protect me. (Right, then why do I need to pay them for protection!)

Now we are 4 days later, and after the initial 24 hours came and went with no contact, I keep being told different stories when I inquire on when my computer will be fixed. They first said I was 'in the queue' to be contacted any time, then said that they're having a problem with their tools, so within 48 MORE hours, then 24 MORE hours after that. In the meantime, I can't install any other antivirus program because there are apparently some files left on here that are conflicting, which is why the tech couldn't install their free version.

It's really annoying because the tech not only uninstalled both programs and left me without those working features, but has resulted in my computer being hijacked by the files he didn't clean up so I can't install any other antivirus software.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. I'm not sure what to do, and at this point I'm not very confident in allowing their techs to take over my computer again when, and if, I ever get contacted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, they are greatly appreciated!!

:scratchhead:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 justfixit

justfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

P.S. I forgot to add that after making contact the 2nd day I was told that the update error was a known issue. I asked why the tech didn't just tell me that, and that they were working on it, instead of trying to fix it himself when their own high level techs were supposedly not able to figure it out yet. The whole problem could have been avoided if that tech had not played rogue cowboy on my computer! Waiting on a fix for an update error while still having use of the other features is minor compared to not having anything now.

:angry:

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

Hello and welcome:

Did I miss a critical piece of information: the name and version of the anti-virus in question?

Reason for asking:

If a standard Windows Control Panel uninstall and reboot does not fully remove an AV or other security product, the next step is to use the vendor's own removal tool.

Unlike generic, 3rd-party uninstallers (some of which are quite good, like Revo Uninstaller), the vendor's tool is specialized to remove their products.

With some, such as McAfee, the tool often needs to be run more than once, and (rarely) from Windows Safe Mode.

So, unless I missed it, we could probably help you better if we knew the name (and version) of the product...

Cheers,

MM

P.S. Sometimes, leftovers are of no consequence.  Drivers and other important files, when left behind, can be a problem and should be removed.

Edited by MoxieMomma, 07 December 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#4 justfixit

justfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:05 PM

Thank you for your response.

The product is AVG Internet Security Unlimited, whatever the latest version number is, I don't have access to that now. The tech wiped out so much that it disabled my account with them, as if I no longer have a subscription. He said they were trying to re-activate it, but so far their website shows where I purchased those products, the expiration date, etc. but otherwise it's like I'm an unknown user.

The AVG tech did use their removal tool, which obviously did not work. They have only recently said there was a problem with their tools, which may mean the removal tool. I told them that at this point I'm not interested in them reinstalling the product, I just want them to just get their files cleared off so I can get a different antivirus program. I'll worry about a refund later. But they are claiming they can't do that either.

Like I said, even their own tech could not install even the free version, which he said was because there are corrupted installation files that are preventing it. There had been no problem with installation when the product was installed in July, it was working until the tech did whatever he did. 

According to their Facebook page, there are some other angry customers that have had a similar problem after allowing a remote tech session.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

Beats me, windows is borked, full windows purge, hdd wipe + reinstall, hope your not setup with everything in one basket on your hdd, its like the worse setup ever for a Os imho, best is to have different drives for the Os and your Data, min a partition for the Os and the rest for data.

When the Os is done it makes cleanup time less of a pain, and ya iv had problems with AVG before  too zaping windows dead,half the reason why i don't use it.

#6 justfixit

justfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

I have not partitioned my hard drive. Windows 8 does have a 'Refresh' option, which is not as radical as doing a reinstall, but much better than a system restore. It basically puts the computer back to out of the box condition except for personal files like photos, videos, etc. I have considered that as a last ditch option, because it requires reinstalling all programs and software that I've added in the 13 months I've had this laptop. And I wasn't sure if AVG's files would actually all be removed in that process and that it would fix the problem.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

You can try using the restore point that was created prior to installing AVG. I don't think that would cause any more damage than you already have. 

That's assuming a restore point was created as it should of been.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 justfixit

justfixit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

I tried a restore point that was created before the AVG issue, it made no difference. AVG is still 'there, but not there'.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:55 PM

Download Autoruns. Search for anything AVG or TuneUp. Uncheck the box next to the each AVG entry. Reboot. If the computer runs normally you can go back and delete each entry by highlighting and clicking the red X. 

Reboot and try reinstalling AVG.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Be very careful what you are unchecking.

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:19 AM

Did the tech not have you boot into Windows safe mode to do some of the uninstall/fixes?

JohnC_21's autoruns suggestion is a good one.

I usually turn on 'show hidden files and folders' and go through the PC deleting every folder and file belonging to the 'naughty' software when an uninstall is borked by badly written software routines.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:28 AM

This version of AVG has a uninstall option of its own.  To use this right click on AVG, then select Uninstall.  This is how AVG suggest that the Internet Security Ultimate should be uninstalled.  Unfortunately that will not work in its current condition.  What you may try would be to reinstall AVG and then see if you can use this option to uninstall it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

There is a Safe Mode scorched earth way -- involving what a previous poster indicated -- finding every directory associated with AVG.  There are a few places within user's account AppData Local, Roaming; ProgramData; Program Files [64 or 32 bit].

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 dadosky

dadosky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:05 AM

i can remove kaspersky AV folder from program fils, keep asking me a SYSTEM perm.

Can u help me?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

If you wish to uninstall Kaspersky antivirus you should use their KAVremover tool.  Uninstalling Kaspersky in Programs and Features may not remove everything which should be removed.  This tool does a complete removal.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 bigjohn

bigjohn

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

I have used revo uninstall with great success to uninstall programs and leftovers. Just run the scan after uninstalling. I f you find any file left right click in it and hit uninstall with revo.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users