Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I choose W7 partition?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 purplerain

purplerain

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

I have to reformat my computer, but do I leave the partitons as they are, or can I remove some?

IMG_20161207_182901.jpg

Edited by purplerain, 07 December 2016 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

I would leave the partitions as they are, usually it's easiest just to Format while doing the install.  This way you are only Formatting once, and therefore less wear on the drive.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000186.htm

You'll also want to Backup all personal files before because all will be Wiped from the Drive.

In addition you will want to Create Recovery Media, in fact this is the first thing you would do Upon Purchasing a pc.

Why do you believe that you need to Format the drive?  There are ways to clean things up if needed, and may take far less time to do so.  W7 takes a lot of work to reinstall these days, so please consider this first.  There are many good tools here at bc.com that can be used to do this with the help of Staff and members if you are inclined to do so.

I see you have a Recovery Partition, are you going to Re-install from that?  You would normally have what is called a Recovery Manager, very common on HP computers.  In most cases this is what I would do, this way you will have all your Drivers etc. in place and up and running without much hassle.  

A lot of computer guys don't want all that OEM Junkware on there pc's, so they will download a Retail Copy and install from that.  This will require installation of Drivers and any other OEM tools that you liked from the original install.

If possible post a Speccy for all to use to assist you better.  You can use this tutorial if you like.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users