Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Product Key

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

i have a laptop that came with windows 8, hard drive crashed,

replaced hard drive, now trying to install windows using a bootable usb with windows 8 iso file,

the first messege i get is to enter the product key???

there is no product key on this computer, it just has a "windows 8" sticker on it,

what the heck do i do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:58 PM

You can order factory recover DVD from your laptop manufacturer.

Posted Image

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is embedded in firmware. What happens if you simply click next without entering a key? If clicking next without entering a key does not work then use one of these generic Windows 8.1 keys. These will not activate Windows 8 but can be used for an initial install.

Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT 
Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB 

Once installed you can change the product key with the one in firmware you can find using FirmwareTablesView.

If you cannot install using the above generic keys the key can be pulled from firmware using a live linux disk but lets see if the above works.

#4 Don_Hannibal

Don_Hannibal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 02:29 AM

Maybe is BIOS UEFI and you need UEFI iso file. I was in that situation and with UEFI iso file win8 was activated without any product key

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is embedded in firmware. What happens if you simply click next without entering a key?

thanks for all the replies,

to answer that question, it would not let me click next without entering a product key, the "next" was greyed out,

but looks like i solved it,

i think i was trying to install the wrong version of widows 8 32 as opposed to 64

i downloaded 64 and made a bootable usb with that,

when i booted up with that it bypassed the product id screen and went straight to the license agreement screen,

thanks again

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:50 AM

Glad you were able to get Windows 8.1 back up and running. After setting up the computer with your programs and updates you may want to consider creating a complete disk image to an external drive using any of the following programs. Using the bootable media each program creates you can restore the image to a clean unformatted drive and be up in minutes vs hours.

Macrium Free

Aomei Backupper

Easeus Todo Backup Free

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

If computer came and Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 was already installed, the original license key is stored in BIOS.
You may find that when you use the Command Prompt or PowerShell. Here is how.
http://cleveridea.hostfree.pw/windows_8,_8.1,_10_license_key.html

NB! It works only with computers, which came with already installed OEM Windows 8, 8.1 or  10.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

If computer came and Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 was already installed, the original license key is stored in BIOS.

Yes, the product key is embedded in the BIOS in Windows 8.1, but with Windows 10 the product code is automatically digitally recorded by Microsoft.  When you reinstall Windows 10 the product code will automatically be recalled.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users