Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Enter BIOS at all, Bizarre boot behavior.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nacre56

Nacre56

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

A little background on my setup: I have Linux Mint 18 installed on one SSD and Windows 10 on another. I have the display plugged into the motherboard (a gigabyte board with intel graphics), but also have a nVidia gtx 1070, which I run headless on Mint to do computing work.  After two weeks of running perfectly, I can no longer access either the bios or the Mint installation (and no recent Mint updates or software changes).

The following behaviors occur:

1) If I boot with the display connected to onboard graphics, I will arrive at the Windows login after a delay where there is no input detected and no BIOS splash screen. Once into windows, I can connect my display to either onboard or nVidia graphics and both work perfectly.

2) If I attempt to use windows restart options to boot from my Mint SSD or a linux live USB, the computer will boot directly to Windows with a delay as above.

3) If I boot with the display connected to the nVidia card, I get the BIOS flash screen briefly. Regardless of what key I press (I've tried them all and the keyboard is detected), it will proceed briefly to a black screen with a frozen cursor and then to an empty black screen.  From there the computer will turn itself on and off three times. The cycle is as follows:

Turn On --> B_BIOS light on --> BIOS SPLASH SCREEN --> black screen with cursor --> black screen for ~5-10 s --> Restart --> M_BIOS light on --> immediate restart within 1 s --> B_Bios light on, black screen no BIOS splash --> Restart after 5-10s --> black screen indefinitely.

4) If I remove the nVidia card and connect the display to the board, the computer will continually cycle, turning itself off and on again, switching between M_BIOS and B_BIOS.  In this configuration I cannot even boot into Windows.

Needless to say, I'm very frustrated and very stumped. I've tried resetting the Bios and CMOS onboard. Neither remedies the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:32 PM

Unplug everything you can imho and run the mobo solo off the onbord video,one stick of ram "change sticks of ram if needed but only use one" + keybord only + monitor only,dissconnect everything besides that.

Just try and get the mobo to post and get your self in to the bios if possable.

Btw whats your computer hardware ?

#3 Nacre56

Nacre56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

Unplug everything you can imho and run the mobo solo off the onbord video,one stick of ram "change sticks of ram if needed but only use one" + keybord only + monitor only,dissconnect everything besides that.

Starting that process now. Hardware:

CPU: i5-4670k

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H

Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro

GPU: gtx 1070

PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 Gold

Hard Drives: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 25GB Samsung SSD, 1 TB HDD

#4 Nacre56

Nacre56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

Unplugged everything, pulled out the graphics card, and tried every memory stick independently. Nothing. It doesn't post and neither the display or keyboard is detected. It will reboot every 20-30s.

I put the GPU back in by itself, no hard drives and one stick of memory. There is still no display but the keyboard is detected and the board displays code AD, which indicated it is ready to boot and is waiting on an OS.  Plug the hard drive back in and the I'm right back where I started, at the windows login with no bios

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

Errr.......  you try cleaning the cpu / reseat the chip in its soket ?

heat sink not the crap stock one that comes with the cpu right ?

nice bord btw

Edited by shadow_647, 07 December 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#6 Nacre56

Nacre56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Errr.......  you try cleaning the cpu / reseat the chip in its soket ?

heat sink not the crap stock one that comes with the cpu right ?

nice bord btw

Thanks. I really doubt it's the cpu. I have a Hyper 212 Evo on it and just stress tested both the cpu and gpu and both are performing just fine.

Ugh. Atleast I have windows running and have a backup of the work I kept on the linux side.  Most bizarre computer troubles I have ever had.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

Decent heat sink :thumbup2:

Stress testing the cpu isn't the same as cleaning it with electronic contact cleaner and reseating it, if you don't want to that's your call though, my self i would, had lots of setups over the years and it was just the cpu sokit glitching.

Sucks you can't do a bios flash,mobo only half working atm.

Edited by shadow_647, 07 December 2016 - 02:27 PM.

#8 Nacre56

Nacre56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try reseating the CPU as well, though it will have to wait a while as I'm going out of town tomorrow and don't have the supplies on me. Luckily, google just released Windows support for tensorflow 8 days ago, so I can have remote access to my compute stuff after all. Talk about lucky timing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users