Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Affordable routers for dd-wrt?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

Im looking for a mostly entry level $30-75 router that I can load dd-wrt software on to. I have a monoprice router on it and it lacks so many simple features like port forwarding its tear jerking :P. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I tried to install it on a linksys E-1500 but it always dropped connections and froze.

- Preferably with gigabit ports

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 07 December 2016 - 11:55 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Look for a RT-N66U on sale. You can usually find them for 50-80 depending the sale or if refurbished. Here is a example of a refurbished unit, which would have better ratings except some of them shipped with bad power adapters. Here is a new one.

#3 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:32 PM

Sweet :D, many thanks! I actually had one of these at my former job and they were always really nice.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

I have heard people on Tmobile can request a free(minus 25$ deposit) cellular repeater. Here is a blog talking about it, but it's kind of old so not sure what they offer now. It's a Asus RT-AC68U that works as a normal router too. See here for dd-WRT info, take note it's a bit trickier to upgrade with this version.

Edited by Trikein, 07 December 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#5 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:23 AM

I second the RT-N66U as a pretty good model to flash, sold mine to a friend earlier this year and he's had no issues to date with loads of network traffic on his home setup.

Look for a RT-N66U on sale. You can usually find them for 50-80 depending the sale or if refurbished. Here is a example of a refurbished unit, which would have better ratings except some of them shipped with bad power adapters. Here is a new one.

For about 80$ you can get the Buffalo Airstation AC1200 with DD-WRT pre-installed. It sounds like it would also meet all your needs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users