Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multipurpose vs PC + Laptop??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Linke

Linke

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:57 AM

Hi, currently looking at replacing current laptop (Fujitsu Q702 i5-3427U @1.8GHz) due to its untimely death as the screen and power buttons lose their functionality ): 

Am entering university as of next year so looking for something that can get me through that, as well as being a low level gamer (nothing higher than Sims3 really, LoL, AoE, etc.. low demand.). I'm wondering whether it would be cost effective to buy 2 separate machines, one for home and one for school, or just keep it to one laptop.

I'm looking at: MSI GT70 i7-4700MQ@2.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 128SSD + 1TB HDD, 17''
WITH NVIDIA GTX 770 Graphics Card,
which I can get for $600 effectively new. This would function as a home pc/desktop, and I'd then purchase a second laptop for approx. $250 (nothing spec heavy, 11'' with 1.5+ GHz 32GB SSD etc.)

Alternatively, most anything I can find that incorporates a semi-decent graphics card into a small laptop with a nice CPU is looking upwards of $1200 or so, my personal favourite so far being the Lenovo Yoga 710 i7-7500U@2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, NVIDIA 940MX graphics card, priced at about $1600.

Are these sorts of prices good value (especially MSI+mini laptop)? Is there going to be anything small and portable (<14'') that I can find that will have a decent graphics card, as well as 8GB RAM, SSD, and an ok processor under the combined price of $600MSI + $250?? Which is a better cost/value, or a more effective system?? 

Not going to be using it for heavy high demand tasks (i.e. 3D software, video editiing, etc.), simply looking at maximising performance with value, while still being able to have gaming ability.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

First: What country are you buying in? 

Are these sorts of prices good value (especially MSI+mini laptop)? Is there going to be anything small and portable (<14'') that I can find that will have a decent graphics card, as well as 8GB RAM, SSD, and an ok processor under the combined price of $600MSI + $250?? Which is a better cost/value, or a more effective system?? 

Laptops aren't cheap for what you get, gaming laptops are worse, slim laptops are overpriced, but when you combine all those things you have to throw money out the window. Talking 4 times as much for somthing with all that when compared to a desktop equivalent. 

Not going to be using it for heavy high demand tasks (i.e. 3D software, video editiing, etc.), simply looking at maximising performance with value, while still being able to have gaming ability

With the games you listed, you're way overestimating the power needed to run those games. Still, being slim and sub 15 inch is pricey since most laptops are 15.6 inch. 

I'd recommend the Lenovo IdeaPad 710s (80VQ001VUS), or the ASUS ZenBook UX303UA. Both would run all the games you listed and are sub 15inch.

People always assume you need a 20 pound 1000$ brick to even begin to play games on- not true. All PCs can play games. It's just to what extant they can, and for what you want both those will do fine. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:25 PM

I agree with SEANIA here, gaming laptops are overpriced, heavy machines with poor thermals. Get a gaming desktop and a regular laptop.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users