Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to select Startup Disk and Data Volume?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Traktor

Traktor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:01 AM

Hi, I'm using a Carbon Copy Cloner backup software on my Mac and it's asking me to select two different items but I'm not sure how.  It's asking for the following:

• back up your startup disk to the backup volume (step 1 in the instructions below)
  • store your data volume's backup (step 6)

I'm having trouble figuring out how to select the startup disk and how to select the data volume.  When I click the source button on the backup software it gives me the options to select my main HardDrive or Chose A Folder.  What do I select?  I understand I will be creating two tasks/actions and for each one I am to select something different, but just not sure what.

Quoting the instructions below and here's the original page if needed:

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/i-want-back-up-multiple-macs-or-source-volumes-same-hard-drive

"I want to back up my startup disk and a data volume to the same backup disk"
If you prefer not to partition your backup volume as described above, you can use two CCC backup tasks to manage these backups. The first task will back up your startup disk directly to the backup volume for a bootable backup, the second task will back up your data volume to a subfolder on the backup volume. Thanks to CCC's SafetyNet feature, the two backup tasks will coexist peacefully.

• Configure a CCC task to back up your startup disk to the backup volume. Choose your startup disk from the Source selector and choose the backup volume from the Destination selector.
  • Verify that the SafetyNet feature is "On". [Note: If you have Advanced Settings enabled, be sure that the Protect root-level items option is checked.]
  • Schedule the task, if desired, or choose "Save" from Carbon Copy Cloner's File menu. You can run this task immediately or let it run on schedule later.
  • Click the "New Task" button in CCC's toolbar.
  • Choose your data volume from CCC's Source selector.
  • In the Finder, create a new folder at the root level of the destination volume to store your data volume's backup. Finder may prompt you to authenticate if you ran the first task already, and that's OK.
  • Drag the new folder from the Finder onto CCC's Destination selector.
  • Schedule the task, if desired, or choose "Save" from Carbon Copy Cloner's File menu. Again, you can run this task immediately or let it run on schedule later.

Edited by Traktor, 07 December 2016 - 04:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

What specifically are you trying to accomplish? How many drives does your Mac have? Is it just a single drive? Do you have more than one Mac? Do you want to backup the whole drive or just part of the drive? Do you want a bootable clone backup?

I ask this because the instructions you are following are for if you want to backup either multiple Macs or multiple drives/volumes from one Mac. If you are only backing up one Mac and only backing up one drive on the Mac, then you only really need to do the first three steps in the instructions...and if so, then you either select your drive (if you want to backup the entire drive) or a specific folder (if you want to backup just a specific folder). If so, then you might want to consider using CCC's "Simple Mode":

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/simple-mode

#3 Traktor

Traktor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:22 PM

Good questions!

I have a Mac mini desktop computer and a MacBook Pro laptop.  I want to use the same external drive to backup both computers.  I originally wanted to create a disk image but the program documentation suggests instead to follow these instruction instead.  Yes, I'm trying to create a bootable clone and want the whole drive backed up, which the software rep emailed saying this is the best option.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

To backup more than one Mac to a single external drive and being able to boot to either backup, you will need to split the external drive into two partitions. Then you can "clone" one Mac's drive to one partition and the other Mac's drive to the other partition. If this is what you want to do, then the instructions above are not quite what you want.

Note that I put the word clone in quotes. The reason is that how a program clones may not necessarily be the same. In my experience, Windows cloning programs will make an exact duplicate (aka clone) of the entire drive, including partitions. For Macs, things can be different. I use SuperDuper! for my cloning purposes on my Macs. It DOES NOT necessarily clone the entire drive, but rather a volume, which can be either a single drive (no partitions) or a partition on a drive with multiple partitions. So, in effect, SuperDuper will not clone an entire drive with multiple partitions (which is the case for most Macs as Mac now ship with a recovery partition for re-installing the Mac OS). I don't use CCC, so I don't know specifically how it works, but I read at least one item that suggests it mainly works like SuperDuper! does. The one wrinkle is that CCC does have the ability to deal with the Mac recovery partition, but I don't know the specifics.

So, theoretically, you should be able to reformat the external drive and format it into two partitions/volumes. Then you can use the Simple mode on Mac #1 to clone the drive in Mac #1 to partition #1 on the external drive and then use the Simple mode on Mac #2 to clone the drive in Mac #2 to the partition #2 on the external drive. You can also do this without the Simple mode which would in essence entail doing steps ! through 3 in the above instructions twice (once for each Mac) AFTER you format the external drive into two partitions/volumes. The advantage of not using the Simple Mode is that you can set both backups to occur on a schedule...EXCEPT that you would still need to remember to "manually" move the external drive from one computer to the other for the scheduled backup.

The above method will result in either partition/volume being bootable. You would just need to hold down the Option key when booting from that drive to select the appropriate backup partition/volume for the appropriate computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users