Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU speed/multiplier wrong, running way slow (Win10)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sremick

sremick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:27 AM

This one has been kicking my butt for a while and I just can't seem to sort it out.

Laptop is an HP 15-f039wm, running Win10 Home, with an Intel Celeron N2840 CPU:

A while back (laptop isn't mine), the user noticed that it was now running very slow. Turns out the CPU speed is horribly lower than it should be. It's only running at 500 MHz (yes, 0.5 GHz) via a multiplier of 6x83.333 MHz even when under heavy load. I think the multiplier should be more like 26.

The issue isn't hardware related at all: I can take a test HDD, put it in, set it up with a fresh Win10 install and the CPU is fine... idling low, but jumping up high all the way to rated speed under load. But I'd like to save this existing Windows/app environment if at all possible, and fix the issue surgically.

I've tried updating the BIOS (there's also no BIOS settings worth anything or applicable as far as I can tell... it's pretty anaemic). I've also tried updating all the Win10 drivers HP has available for this model. No change.

Any thoughts or advice?

(My technical skill level is extremely high so feel free to ask me to do whatever or provide any info you need, without dumbing it down or painful hand-holding instruction.)
This one has been kicking my butt for a while and I just can't seem to sort it out.

A while back (laptop isn't mine), the user noticed that it was now running very slow. Turns out the CPU speed is horribly lower than it should be. It's only running at 500 MHz (yes, 0.5 GHz) via a multiplier of 6x83.333 MHz even when under heavy load. I think the multiplier should be more like 26.

The issue isn't hardware related at all: I can take a test HDD, put it in, set it up with a fresh Win10 install and the CPU is fine... idling low, but jumping up high all the way to rated speed under load. But I'd like to save this existing Windows/app environment if at all possible, and fix the issue surgically.

I've tried updating the BIOS (there's also no BIOS settings worth anything or applicable as far as I can tell... it's pretty anaemic). I've also tried updating all the Win10 drivers HP has available for this model. No change.

Any thoughts or advice?

(My technical skill level is extremely high so feel free to ask me to do whatever or provide any info you need, without dumbing it down or painful hand-holding instruction.)

http://ark.intel.com/products/82103/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2840-1M-Cache-up-to-2_58-GHz

Any thoughts or advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

K well seems theirs something here from CPU world.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron/Intel-Celeron%20N2840.html

Low power frequency 500 MHz so the 500mgz makes sense.

So its windows then hemm.

Seems theirs a "Power Options in Control Panel" don't know what control panel though seeing as theirs two in win10, and i don't really know win10.

Something about "Performance power plan's advance setting" from my research as well and "balanced power setting" , seems in win10 theirs a lot of settings for cpu speed and sadly i don't know my way around win10.

Im guessing from what iv read about the topic online and this topic seems to be common that its a win10 only problem and can be changed with settings.

#3 sremick

sremick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:27 AM

I already set the power setting to Performance and set the min and max CPU to 100% for the sake of testing, to force it and eliminate that as a possibility. No effect.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

Did you run CPUz? Can you post screenshots of the CPU and Memory tabs?  I doubt the standard HP UEFI/BIOS has CPU multiplier settings. 83.333 MHz seems too low.

http://www.masterslair.com/memory-ram-overclocking-guide-ddr3

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

-Check the bios for power saving options when on battery power.

-Generally the laptop should run higher clock once plugged into wall power.

-If the power adapter is faulty or power port is broken, the sensor pin inside the middle of the port will not detect the power adapter correctly and cause the system to run low power state. Damage to adapter or power port  will also cause the battery to not charge correctly too.

Edited by technonymous, 07 December 2016 - 11:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users