Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files on an External HD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:46 PM

I have to send this computer back for warranty repair.  In updating my backup, I have been having various issues with my external HD (WD Passport ITB) and these files are very important to me, so I bought a second drive and transferred the contents from the old drive to the new one.  I copied everything and I decided to double check the file sizes and I found that the new drive has a few folders with significantly more data.  And the other folders match up exactly.   I compared them, folder by folder and even though all the folders and files match size exactly, there seems to be something else that is hidden.  How do I see if anything else is on the drive? 

Windows 7.  I have the folder viewing option to show hidden files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:07 AM

Hi there! :) I see this question often. You're trying to view "super hidden files". This article has always been helpful for this. See what this can do for you. If it's a total miss, let me know.

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:09 AM

I don't understand these instructions:

http://vlaurie.com/windows-7-tips/windows-7-tips.html

The ALT key?  I did not get a menu bar with TOOLS.  If I right click the C drive, I have access to the tools for checking the disk, defregging, etc.

But did you understand what I wrote?  I have five folders on the disk.  Three of the five folders on the old and new drive match, but two of the folders have different sizes listed.  One of those two folders is almost double in size  I then compared the items in each corresponding folder on both the old and new drive and they matched perfectly, and I can't find that extra content IN THE FOLDER. 

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

Hi again,

Yes of course I read what you wrote...

there seems to be something else that is hidden.  How do I see if anything else is on the drive?

This is the purpose to reveal Super Hidden Files in Windows, to see if there is anything else on the drive or in those folders.

Were you able to try this tutorial here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-manage-super-hidden-windows-system-files.htm ?

Please do and see if there are anymore hidden files.

You see, there are hidden files and folders in Windows, and then there are super hidden files and folders. Protected Operating System files are hidden by default and remain hidden, even if someone shows hidden files and folders in the Folder Options interface. By revealing all super hidden files, we can see if there are other operating system files and folders, a masked file or folder (not usually a good thing), or a Windows caching file/info file.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

Does this WD Passport ITB use something like SmartWare[?] and DriveUnlock click-through during normal Windows operations?  Reason for asking:  Jumunji over in sevenforums.com mentions this Smartware & DriveUnlock operations in a few threads over there.  My question:  I'm wondering if on the WD disk two of those folders are "un-encrypted/un-compressed" versions of the files on the internal hard-drive.  I want to learn more about these WD Passport ext HDs.

Edited by RolandJS, 07 December 2016 - 11:35 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:01 PM

As RolandJS posted WD passports can come with smartware. When you attach the drive it will create a virtual CD drive. Open Device Manager and look under CD/DVD Rom drives for anything listed as Virtual or WD. WD passports are terrible to recover from as the bridge card is integrated into the drives PCB and the micro USB connector is soldered to the bridge card. You are lucky to have retrieved your data. In any case always have your important data backed up to two devices.

Smartware is part of firmware and cannot be deleted. The other WD folders may be some utilities. When I purchased a HP external made by WD I wiped the drive and still could not get rid of Smartware. I disabled the virtual CD in Device Manager.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2016 - 12:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users