Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the most basic (stable) distro of gnu/linux?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:46 PM

What is the most basic distro of gnu/linux and where can i find it (preferably is iso form)? I want it to have no programs, packages, etc. other than what it needs to run.

If possible, can i also get required specs for an idea as to how much this will take to run?

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 06 December 2016 - 10:47 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:37 AM

The closest thing I can think of is Debian Stable network install. You will be asked during the installation if you wish to install additional packages, such as a desktop, so you can leave all those options unchecked.

It comes with apt-get, so you can easily uninstall any other packages that are surplus to your requirements.

https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:39 AM

Hi, TOMIS13LACK.

Enlighten us, please, if you would.

What is the most basic distro of gnu/linux and where can i find it (preferably is iso form)?

If possible, can i also get required specs for an idea as to how much this will take to run?

When you say 'the most basic' and 'how much this will take to run', are you asking what is the smallest (or most compact) distro available.....or do you really mean the most basic, 'no-frills' distro it's possible to install.....with absolutely nothing included, so you have a lot of work to do before you can actually accomplish anything? There are ultra-basic versions of the 'big' distros (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.).....and then there are full-featured smaller distros that take up very little space.

I will agree with Al about Debian stable (you really can't get much more stable than Debian), and if you want to customize it totally the way you want it right from install, it's certainly the best way to go.....but he and I both run a smaller one called 'Puppy' Linux, which is a very small, compact distro, that takes up very little space, yet has a lot of stuff included.

I was merely curious as to whether you'd described your requirements correctly, that's all..! The best way for us to help is to know precisely what's wanted; until we do, it's not easy to advise properly.  :thumbup2:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 07 December 2016 - 06:46 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:42 AM

I agree, debian is best bet for stable

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

I run Debian stable. Minimum spec https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch03s04.html.en

Provided you only install things from the repository and not from elsewhere, and stick to the current stable version ... its incredibly stable and the likes of security fixes come through quickly. The standard version doesn't come with non-free firmware, most people add that in as it covers a wider range of hardware.

Basically once installed, periodically open a terminal and run

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

and that will update the installed version to the current stable version.

There are a range of desktop options. KDE is quite popular but was a bit too bloated for my liking. XFCE and LXDE are similar and somewhat like XP type layout. Gnome is more like a smartphone type layout. Personally I run LXDE (prefer that having migrated from Windows XP).

Download via https://www.debian.org/CD/

Choose i386 if you use a 32 bit PC, or for a 64 bit choose the amd64 (or whatever). Or as previously mentioned use the net install link/version as that is a much smaller download.

Personally I originally chose the livecd choice and burnt that to a CD and used that to boot, and then used that to install to HDD in a puppy linux like 'frugal install' manner.

OpenBSD (-release) data server (that auto detects and rsshfs mounts one of its folders onto my desktop system).

Desktop system sshfs mounts my android phone (SSHelper app installed on phone).

Desktop system runs X under non-root, and is mostly booted read only (desktop changes lost at shutdown/reboot).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users