Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LibreOffice on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

Can anyone tell me if LibreOffice works well on Windows 7?  I mostly just need LibreOffice Writer, and realize that it is not super compatible with M.S. Office but does okay.

Thanks, Pcpunk

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2016 - 06:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Bus Apps - Hamluis.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

Yes, it will work. If you want something super compatible with microsoft office use WPS office free or Softmaker Office Free

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:00 PM

Thanks John, I know LibreOffice will work but are there any glitches or anything else you know about it on W7?  Would you suggest the others over LibreOffice?

WPS! That's great, forgot about that one.  Hey, they work on Linux Too! that may be really good for me John I'll try one of these before LO as I use that all the time on Linux.

Pcpunk 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:07 AM

I never had issues with Libre Office on 7 but then I don't use it much. In fact I have it on a key as a portable app.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

As long as we are on the subject.....can these two suggested apps (WPS and Softmaker) open and/or convert from their proprietary format to Microsoft format (mainly Word and Excel)? That is my big problem...many won't or do it poorly. Someone sends me an Excel spreadsheet or Word Doc and it won't open in the program I am using. Or....it will open ok, but when I try to save in Excel or Word format it scrambles the doc or will not do it at all. So I have no way of making notations/changes and sending it back to the person in Microsoft format so that they can read it. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

I have found that WPS converts Word documents better than LibreOffice. It opened a PowerPoint presentation perfectly that choked on LibreOffice. YMMV.

I have not used Softmaker but I have read that it is very compatible.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

Thanx John, I'll give it a whirl.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

Someone sends me an Excel spreadsheet or Word Doc and it won't open in the program I am using. Or....it will open ok, but when I try to save in Excel or Word format it scrambles the doc or will not do it at all. So I have no way of making notations/changes and sending it back to the person in Microsoft format so that they can read it. 

and it won't open in the program I am using."

Pet Peeves: Please include specifics ranchhand, what "program" are you using that it won't open in?

"Softmaker" has better documentation, at least that I can see, so I'm inclined to go with that.  I don't know how these folks produce this stuff for free?  Is it SAFE to download if it is free, or does it come with Advertising etc.  I assume that it is all clean because I believe John_C21 gives good information, but I got to wonder how they do this, or why.  I'm guessing they have paid versions and this is how they hook ya into buying the paid version.

I've had some minor issues with L.O. also, and read that it don't play well with MS Office...like in Excel for instance.

Thanks again JohnC_21 for your time.

Edited by pcpunk, 07 December 2016 - 12:57 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

With WPS you will get a pop up ad asking to upgrade to the premium version. I never ran across it but they say if you want to convert a WPS file to PDF they WPS makes you watch a short video and then you have access it for 30 minutes. But I use Bullzip to print to PDF to get around that. When I had Softmaker on I never saw an ad but that was a long time ago.

I think there would be a way to block the popups in WPS using the firewall.

Edit: I just exported a file to PDF using WPS and I was never offered a video. All I can say is give WPS a shot and see how it goes.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2016 - 02:40 PM.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for more inside info John, will have to pull the trigger with something here soon.  I will read up a little more tonight, and am looking at this right now.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-microsoft-office-alternatives-5-suites-to-save-you-money-1139295

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

Wow, L.O. Has a good fight going with M.S. Office here.  They are both full of key features but vary quite a bit.  And...at the bottom of that page there are some really good articles on the difference between the two.  Surprized LO wins here when I've seen some issue with LO and Calc vs. Excel.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Feature_Comparison:_LibreOffice_-_Microsoft_Office

Edited by pcpunk, 07 December 2016 - 05:51 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

Thanks again John, I downloaded LibreOffice for multiple reasons.

1. It rated the best

2. I use it on Linux

3. Lot's of documentation

4. Well, just got tired of reading lol

I will try and find time to try some more, but WPS had some bad reviews because folks felt like they were being handcuffed with some of the features.  I did look like the best to start out so that one may in second in line for an install.  I wonder if I can install it anyway and not have compatibility issues?

I see now that Softmaker has a good Forum, WPS don't as far as I can see.  Need more time to test! but don't have it.

Libre already seems like it is slowing my pc down, but have no data to back that up.  It seems to function better on Linux, and every time I open something there is no icon telling me that it is loading...wait...that may be my pc, seems to be doing this with Chrome also.  It's a fresh install so don't know why it would be doing that.  I don't have any funky tweaks, things are pretty fresh, so will have to report back.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:03 AM

Yeah, I have Libre Office on my linux box and use that most of the time for spreadsheets. It does a very good job of opening old Works spreadsheets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users