Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Response after a few hours of inactivity

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mcinsane

Mcinsane

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

I have been running completely fine the past few months. Last week a program required windows updates to run properly, so i downloaded and installed all the current windows 7 updates.

My Issue:

After being left inactive the computer will show a black screen and will not respond to any inputs. This only happens after being left inactive for a few hours and only at random times, does not happen every time (maybe twice a week).

Solutions Tried:

1. Power options: Hibernate, Sleep, Turn Screen Off - all set to never. (need computer on 24/7 for remote access for work) - Does not fix problem, screen still goes black.
  2. Updated all drivers i could think of, including video driver.
  3. searched forums + Google for someone with a related problem - Cant find any with the same issues or i suck at searching.

I had this issue before and i reinstalled Windows 7 and only installed the necessary updates (Hence why my computer was not up-to-date) to fix the problem.

I have not performed a restore because i need the updates for the program and this is my 2nd time having this issue, so a restore isn't exactly going to fix my problem.

I know my issue is with the windows updates since this is the 2nd time happening and both times i had issues after installing windows updates. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:16 AM

Hello! Welcome to Bleeping Computer! I'm sure you'll learn plenty here if you stay around! :)

First, have you disabled the screensaver (sounds silly, but I'm serious)?

Second, have you tested the graphics card?

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW
Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"
In the black window that opens, type "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Let the program run and post back what it says when it's done.

(Thanks to usasma for tut on running this tool)

#3 Mcinsane

Mcinsane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

Hello! Welcome to Bleeping Computer! I'm sure you'll learn plenty here if you stay around! :)

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW
Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"
In the black window that opens, type "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Let the program run and post back what it says when it's done.

(Thanks to usasma for tut on running this tool)

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

#4 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:10 AM

Okay... and:

#5 Mcinsane

Mcinsane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:42 AM

Okay... and:

Screen Saver set to none.

I have not tested the graphics card. Not sure what test to do.

When the issue arises, the graphic card has no video output (based on the screens telling me they are receiving no input) and i cant remote connect to my computer.

#6 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

Run FurMark GPU tester (thanks to zigzag3143 for this tutorial):

FurMark download site:  http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test  (Looks like it's "BURN-IN test" now)
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE:  Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC.  Then watch the system from that point on.  If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems.  DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
If the temperature gets above 100ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit
What you are looking for:  
- excessive heat from the GPU (report back with anything over 90ºC)
- problems with the video display (picture is distorted or jumbled, picture turns black, etc)
- problems reported by the program (I haven't seen this, but "just in case")

#7 Mcinsane

Mcinsane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Run FurMark GPU tester (thanks to zigzag3143 for this tutorial):

FurMark download site:  http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test  (Looks like it's "BURN-IN test" now)
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE:  Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC.  Then watch the system from that point on.  If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems.  DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
If the temperature gets above 100ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit
What you are looking for:  
- excessive heat from the GPU (report back with anything over 90ºC)
- problems with the video display (picture is distorted or jumbled, picture turns black, etc)
- problems reported by the program (I haven't seen this, but "just in case")

GPU Temp maxes out at 60ºC, no video problems or errors.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

I wonder if you Updated the Graphics Driver and that is causing the issue.  Because you said once a Re-Install fixed it.  I would try to Roll Back the Graphics Driver and don't accept any new ones in the Future.  You could check which one you have now, and which one came pre-installed before doing this for confirmation.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Mcinsane

Mcinsane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

I wonder if you Updated the Graphics Driver and that is causing the issue.  Because you said once a Re-Install fixed it.  I would try to Roll Back the Graphics Driver and don't accept any new ones in the Future.  You could check which one you have now, and which one came pre-installed before doing this for confirmation.

The graphics driver was up to date before I installed all the windows updates. Reinstalling windows 7 fixes the problem.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

Posting a Speccy will help

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/#entry1797792

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:43 PM

The graphics driver was up to date before I installed all the windows updates. Reinstalling windows 7 fixes the problem

Your saying you Updated the driver at some point before all this happened?  Generally a reinstall will provide the driver the pc came with, a Windows Optional Update may (I don't know for sure) Update the Driver.  If you post the Speccy I'll look into it, and will help others diagnose the issue.  

Also provide the Make and Model# of pc in question

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

I'm sorry, re-read the original post.  I was thinking this was a graphics issue, maybe something else though.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:30 AM

I urge you to read and follow the instructions provided below.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#14 Mcinsane

Mcinsane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

I think i solved the issue.

In power settings, i was clicking on the power profile i was using and changing all the settings inside the selected profile.

But in the power options main menu, off to the left it says "Choose when to turn off the display". This setting was not being updated with what i had set in the power plan profile. All the other settings got updated, but for some odd reason this setting didn't update.

#15 Mishima

Mishima

• Members
  • 338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

Let us know if there are any more troubles. Thanks for posting your solution. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users