Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failure to complete specific update

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 vev46

vev46

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:24 PM

Fellow members,

After successfully solving the problem of WU downloads staying at 0% with the generous help in this forum, I have been unable to successfully install KB3110329.  After it successfully downloads, I choose Restart, and during the configuration part, I eventually get the following:  "Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes Do not turn off your computer".  After that is done, it restarts and continues to the login screen. I have tried this several times with the same result.  In the "View update history" screen, the details show as follows:

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3110329)

Installation date: ‎12/‎6/‎2016 4:45 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070003

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3110329

Help and Support:

http://support.microsoft.com

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

Greetings,

Have you followed the instructions here? It would be great place to start. Be sure to do a clean boot. :) If that fails too, try using the stand-alone update package.

Edited by bwv848, 06 December 2016 - 08:07 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:58 AM

Hello bwv848,

I followed your instructions including a clean boot with the same result.  Then,using the stand-alone method - same result.  In total, I have tried it 9 times between 11/27 and 12/7 getting an Error details: Code 80070003 each time.  The last 4 times I tried it between 12/16 and 12/17 the code changed to 80071A90.

Thank you for your continuing effort to help

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

Try...

a.  STOP the windows update service.  Do not disable, just stop it.

b.  Try the standalone installer version.

Let us know how it goes.

Louis

#5 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

Thank you Louis,

I did as you suggested.  In the configuring step, it sat at 0% for a while, it then went to 7% and immediately went to "failure configuring updates reverting changes.......", Error details Code 80071A90

Vic

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

More Info

See http://windowsreport.com/update-kb3110329-problems/.

Louis

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

I'd use the System File Checker...

:step1: System File Checker

• Open the Start Menu, and in the Search programs and files box, type cmd.
• Right-click on cmd, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
• In the Elevated Command Prompt type:

sfc /SCANNOW

• You will see one of three things:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

If you see the two latter messages, please immediately type the following command:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

sfcdetails.txt is a log which we may use in future.

Edited by bwv848, 18 December 2016 - 06:20 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:07 PM

bwv48:

Thanks for the guidance.  System File Checker ran successfully.  "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them," SFC text file attached.   I again did a standalone update of kb3110329 with the identical result, except the error details code was slightly different than the previous several attempts (80070003).

vev46

Attached Files

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:24 PM

Thank you and you're welcome. I'm not sure whether if we can ever overcome this, but I'll do my best to help you.

Windows Resource Protection repaired this file:

2016-12-18 20:06:16, Info CSI 000000a7 [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:58{29},l:56{28}]"\??\C:\windows\system32\wbem"\[l:18{9}]"aeinv.mof" from store

Please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and then the System Update Readiness tool.

#10 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:42 AM

bwv848:

Ran WU Troubleshooter, screenshot of results attached.

System Update Readiness tool link you gave https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821 produces a page which has a list of downloads.Choosing the correct one for my case links to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=914fbc5b-1fba-4bae-a7c3-d2c47c6fcffc This link is invalid, ("The page requested cannot be found").  I then googled "Windows Update Readiness tool" and am downloading it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858 It's a long download with my DSL broadband, I will post results later.

Thx, vev46

Attached Files

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:52 PM

That's weird. All the links work perfectly fine for me. :)

After running the System Update Readiness tool, reset Windows Update Components.

Results? :wink:

#12 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

Thanks bwv848!  Going out-of-town for Xmas, will do after returning & report back.  By the way, another resource suggested to install Hotfix for Windows KB947821, but after successfully doing so, KB3110329 would still not update.

Merry Xmas

#13 vev46

vev46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:34 AM

All updates since my last post have been successful except for the persistent KB3110329, still will not take.  My wife's small laptop, which also had the same problem as my PC, (staying at 0% downloading updates) described in the very beginning of my orig post in this thread, was also successfully fixed the same way as my PC, but unlike my PC, successfully updated KB3110329 the first time.  I am ready to try anything else to get over this problem.  I also have a Windows crashing/freezing issue which seems to be some conflict between programs I run concurrently.  I plan to post that issue in the proper forum, and I wonder if that should be addressed first before my remaining update problem here.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

After following Louis' instructions, please again reset Windows Update Components, this time running a batch script by FreeBooter. Please run the script as the administrator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users