Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN or FTP for sharing a personal hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Asukaoyl

Asukaoyl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

So here is the idea.

I want to share one or two of my hard drives on my personal pc with a friend? What would be the easiest and safest way of doing this? Trying to create a cheap workflow between us, without having to buy servers. Long as my computer is on he will be able to access, add/edit files on my computer. 

Thank you for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:13 PM

ftp has the disadvantage that you need to open ports in your firewall for transfers to work.
it also relies on a fixed ip address or the use of eg dyndns to provide a point of contact for the opposite side
the advantage is that it is easy to install on your computer. filezilla server is free and so is the client
and they support encrypted connections

vpn can provide you with security and complete access to your computer as if you were on the same network.
eg shared folders, printers etc
an alternative could be:
https://www.freelan.org/
disadvantage is that it requires some effort to set up

perhaps if you have an old computer lying around it would be easier to set up something like amahi.org, owncloud.org, nextcloud.com or even freenas.org

hth!

tfn

#3 lingroot

lingroot

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

If this is for a one-time share you can use the idea as in this tutorial. This is basically about taking a remote backup over FTP server, If you have basic knowledge in scripting you can easily achieve this. If you need to share two different drives change the  directory. 

#4 lingroot

lingroot

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

You can use any free ftp server for this, make sure you are not sharing any sensitive date using  this method.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:16 AM

I would suggest a shared space like Dropbox is a far better way of doing what you want.

#6 Baron42

Baron42

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

LogMeIn's Hamachi is a very viable option. It's very easy to install and configure VPN. You can be setup and transferring files in 15 mins or less.

#7 Asukaoyl

Asukaoyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:03 AM

Dropbox is to expensive for the amount of space we require. I need to be able to share a entire HD.

LogMeIn's Hamachi seems great and free might try this first.

Whats the easiest way to setup a free ftp?

Edit. Ya tried Logmein and its not what im looking for. Gotta pay to much for the features i need.

Edited by Asukaoyl, 14 December 2016 - 12:20 AM.

#8 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:37 AM

here is the server:

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

here is the client:
https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

and here is some documentation:
https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Documentation

do read up on how to run it with encrypted connections. it will be very secure :)

hth

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users