Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Display Driver update failed - screen now flashing on/off

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bagpipe

bagpipe

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:37 PM

Someone else on here has been helping me sort out a slow laptop.  Most recently I had to upgrade the display driver as mentioned below.  I did this but now after the install once the icons and wallpaper appear they just keep flashing on and off.  If I open task manger or return to the signon screen (first screen you see when the logon window appears) then they are both stable.  Its only after you logon and the icons come up that it goes wrong.  Can someone help please.

Thanks

From Speccy report:
27/10/2016 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series
Installation Status: 
Failed
This driver was provided by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. for support of AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series

Driver version presently installed is

Driver version: 

From the web: The correct version for Windows 10 should be:

• Driver Version: 15.200.1062.1002
  • Release Date: 2015-07-15
  • File Size: 273.5M
  • Supported OS: Windows 10 64 bit

Download AMD/ATI driver 15.20.1062.1002-150715a-187327C for Microsoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

I am not sure it will work but at the login screen press shift and click power icon - restart. This would bring up Safe Mode and in Safe Mode roll back the driver for the video in Device Manager.

#3 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

to reboot to safe mode from the login screen you can do this:

(taken from this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode)

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power
     > Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

you could also try the last good configuration option. it might work

if not, boot safe mode and remove the graphics card driver. personally i would check the box for delete files from computer as well and then reinstall drivers from scratch

you could also try ddu if nothing else works.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

if this doesnt help it might be a hardware problem with your computer

hth!

tfn

#4 bagpipe

bagpipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:02 AM

Thanks JohnC_21

I'm not sure I did the correct thing but I have restored the laptop to an earlier date which was before I tried to update the video driver.  The screen is no-longer flashing.  When I go to the link that was provided to me by Buddy215 I'm a little confused as to what I should be clicking on to get the driver.  There are other links to various updaters.

Are you able to direct me before I try it again ?

Thanks

From Speccy report:
27/10/2016 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series
Installation Status: 
Failed
This driver was provided by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. for support of AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series

Driver version presently installed is

Driver version: 

From the web: The correct version for Windows 10 should be:

• Driver Version: 15.200.1062.1002
  • Release Date: 2015-07-15
  • File Size: 273.5M
  • Supported OS: Windows 10 64 bit

Download AMD/ATI driver 15.20.1062.1002-150715a-187327C for Microsoft

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:14 AM

Personally, if you notice no performance issues with the current driver, I would not update it. A slow computer usually isn't related to the graphics driver.

In your Speccy report your laptop has two graphics chipsets. The A6-5200 has the Radeon HD8400 integrated into the CPU. You have an additional 8600M chipset

512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series (HP): 58 °C
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8600M Series (HP)

Did you manually try installing the AMD graphics driver? Your current driver version is different because it may be a specialized driver from HP for this dual chipset. I am not sure why HP but two Radeon chipsets in the laptop.Crossfire is disabled in your Speccy Report. Crossfire is AMD's solution to combine graphics chipsets to improve performance. It may be you are currently using only the 8400 chipset. Is there is a setting in your UEFI/BIOS to enable crossfire? Crossfire may also be in your AMD control panel. It could be called Catalyst or Crimson depending on the age of the computer. That may help with your performance issues.

Here is a link to setting up Crossfire if your current driver allows.

Windows 10 updates drivers automatically. I would disable that feature. It's possible Windows 10 tried to update the driver for the 8600M where your CPU uses the 8400M. 

Look under the heading Disable Automatic Download of Drivers from Windows Update.

#6 bagpipe

bagpipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:56 AM

Hi

Ok, seem to have lost the trail a little when changing my 'help' person.  Firstly the laptop was running very slow and lots of non responsive time.  After a week of doing things it is now a little quicker in its startup etc but still frequent times of no response.  After running Speccy I was asked to update the video driver which I tried to do but afterwards the screen starting a continuous loop of flashing on and off.  So thats about where I'm at .... still losts of non response/locking up but if you wait long enough it seems to come right, occasionally need to turn it off/om

Cheers

Mike

#7 bagpipe

bagpipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:17 AM

Model number is 

HP Pavilion 15-n206ax Notebook

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

How does the computer act in Safe Mode? Hold the shift key and press restart.

I did go to your support page and it seems the latest driver for your computer is 

15.200.1055.0 Rev.A 408.1 MB Jul 29, 2015

I am not sure why your version which works correctly is working unless this was provided by Microsoft.

Did you find your version in Device Manager or through the AMD control panel? Was this an upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 or was did the computer come pre-installed with Windows 10.

Was crossfire enabled in your AMD control panel?

#9 bagpipe

bagpipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

In safe mode it seems to run fine.  Any info regarding the version I have only found in the Speccy report when I was asked to run it by buddy215.  The laptop had an auto update from win 7 to Win 10, since then there have been issues with it.  Can't seem to find where to look at the AMD Control Panel ?

Feeling a little dumb that I cant locate that but I've searched everywhere

Thanks

Mike

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

You can revert back to Windows 7 if the computer still has the COA sticker with a key or you can do a clean install with Windows but you would need to back up all your data and reinstall all your programs. This would be worse case scenario.

Because the computer runs okay in Safe Mode there is probably some driver or process that is conflicting. You can do a clean boot with Windows 10 then start to enable a few startup items and services at a time until you get the slowdown. 

Your AMD control panel may be called something different if the driver is HP. In Control Panel select Large Icons instead of category. There may be an AMD listing for graphics. It may also be listed in your programs under AMD or HP. You may also get to AMD setting by right clicking an empty spot on the desktop. It may be in the context menu.

I will be off until tomorrow. Good Luck. I will answer any questions tomorrow morning. 

#11 bagpipe

bagpipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:30 AM

Just before I try that.  Just a bit more info for you. When I turn the laptop on, as its starting up, its very very slow, the HP logo of dots that spin in a circle do not turn smoothly and have long moments when they freeze, the icons take almost 15 minutes to appear and the mouse doesnt move for another 5 to 10 minutes, and even then its very jumpy and takes sometimes minutes to move after you have moved it.

I did get partway through the clean boot process where I had disabled everything, even then it took ages to boot up and icons to appear.  Almost like nothing had changed even though all those items had been disable.

Mike

#12 bagpipe

bagpipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:47 AM

Success !  I downloaded the Radeon Software again and now everything is running great again.  I think we can close this one if theres nothing else you think I should do ?

Many thanks

Mike

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad the reinstall worked. BC normally does not mark threads as closed or solved. 

Was the Radeon Update Catalyst or Crimson? Did you find the AMD settings for the chipset and if so can you enable crossfire? Does crossfire now show in Speccy as on or enabled?

Did you download the driver from AMD or from HP's support site?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 December 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#14 bagpipe

bagpipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:09 PM

I believe it was Crimson that I downloaded.  Sorry for being a little vague on that.  Still cant find any AMD settings but there now is a Radeon Control Panel but even when I look in there I can see the control for Crossfire.  I googled where it should be but its not in Global Settings.  Is that something that I really need ?  or it sounds like it somehing mainly for games graphics etc ... this laptop is only used for email and the occasional browsing.  So I'm happy with how this is running now if its not a biggee.  I downloaded from AMD

Thanks

#15 bagpipe

bagpipe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

I just spotted that it was Radeon Crimson ReLive 16.12.1 that I downloaded

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users