Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with charging battery. Will only charge with vga display attached.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tronk

tronk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:08 PM

I've had this problem with my Lenovo g510 where the battery performs perfectly normally, but if I run the battery down, the computer's AC adapter won't charge the battery unless I have the computer plugged into an external display.  If the display is unplugged, it won't charge, but if it is plugged in the computer will charge the battery regardless of whether the display is powered on or off.  It's been fine, except that because of the necessity of being near an external display, I've put undue stress on the AC connection to the computer, and that is not even working now.  I believe that I can take the laptop apart and fix the AC adapter port or replace it, but I've never done anything so invasive with a laptop before.  I like the computer--the size of the screen and body, the proportions of the keyboard, the weight, etc.  So I'd like to get it working again and not just transfer the HDD to an external enclosure.

But here's where things get weird.  Before I realized that I could get my battery charged by plugging in an external display, I bought a cheap Dell E5500 laptop with a dead battery.  Bought a new battery from Newegg, and everything was fine.  About three weeks after starting to use this laptop and moving files, updating, installing peripherals, etc., the battery stopped recharging.  As a joke, I decided to plug in a display, and BAM!  it started charging again.  This has been going on for weeks, and it will ONLY charge if it's attached to a secondary display, just like the Lenovo G510.  I'm really perplexed.  I've never experienced anything like this in all of the ~20 laptops I've used either personally or for work, and now I have this same strange problem with two laptops from two different companies.  Any ideas about what might be going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

Errr flash bios yet ?

if i didn't know better id say something moving arond code wise

Edited by shadow_647, 06 December 2016 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users