Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

169.254.X.X - "Invalid IP Config" errors

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kenpojosh

kenpojosh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:01 PM

I work at a place that takes calls for customers with computer issues. We've been getting more calls than usual the last couple of days. The common theme is customer’s computer is pulling a 169.254.X.X IP Address and getting an error “Invalid IP Configuration” as a result. The majority of the reports are from today (Dec. 6, 2016) but we had some reports from yesterday too.

What We Know:

• 169.254.X.X IP Addresses
  • Primarily Windows 10. Seen a Win 7 as well.
  • Customers have different Internet providers.

Essentially fixed by releasing / renewing the IP Address. This can be done a few different ways. Winsock Resets, ipconfig/release & renew, etc.

• No known Windows Updates. Last updates I found were pushed out nearly a month ago.
  • Random routers so we can’t fault a particular router type. (Netgear, Linksys, Gigacenter, Belkin, etc.)
  • Random AV programs. (SecureIT, Norton, Avast, McAfee)
  • Seen a couple different types of Network Adapters, (Realtek, Intel)

Just posting to see if anyone else has seen this and can think of any reason for this to be happening.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

Where they from the New England area? There was just a big power outage yesterday. If routers come up before the modems/gateways, it can cause a 169 lock. Did you see anyone with the problem not on a router?

PS. Also bumped into a thread with people having issues with ATT Microcells connecting in CA. Any connection there? Just spit balling. 

Edited by Trikein, 06 December 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#3 nmaguire

nmaguire

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:33 AM

I'm getting the same problem - UK and Ireland customers, Windows 10, no common ISPs or hardware. /release /renew works temporarily but seems to fail after a while. I've ended up setting static IP addresses for all so there's no attempt at using DHCP, seems to have worked so far. Curious to know what's causing it though.

#4 jb1703

jb1703

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:56 AM

Same problem here, Dutch customers. Started today. Also random providers / hardware.

#5 kenpojosh

kenpojosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

Where they from the New England area? There was just a big power outage yesterday. If routers come up before the modems/gateways, it can cause a 169 lock. Did you see anyone with the problem not on a router?

PS. Also bumped into a thread with people having issues with ATT Microcells connecting in CA. Any connection there? Just spit balling. 

Primarily midwest. No common electrical company / power issues. (Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, S & N Dakota, Nebraska, but even getting into Texas and out west a bit). I can't say for certain if there has been any without routers or not.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Well if it's international, it is probably related to Windows 10. I can't think of anything else except malware that would effect everyone across the world. Just yet another reason not to upgrade.

PS. Are the two other posters besides OP work in the same call center? Seems weird that 2 other people would register for this forum just to answer your thread. Do you have the thread mirrored some where?

Edited by Trikein, 07 December 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#7 kenpojosh

kenpojosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

Primarily midwest.

Well if it's international, it is probably related to Windows 10. I can't think of anything else except malware that would effect everyone across the world. Just yet another reason not to upgrade.

PS. Are the two other posters besides OP work in the same call center? Seems weird that 2 other people would register for this forum just to answer your thread. Do you have the thread mirrored some where?

I have posted this on a MS site this morning, but that was after their replies. On TechNet, someone else has posted a similar response "Seeing more Win 10 calls, no pattern to hardware."

#8 nmaguire

nmaguire

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

Not the same call centre - registered because I couldn't find any info on it anywhere else and given the volume of calls I've had on it today was (fruitlessly!) hoping someone might have a magic bullet answer on it :)

#9 kenpojosh

kenpojosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:44 AM

Primarily midwest. No common electrical company / power issues. (Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, S & N Dakota, Nebraska, but even getting into Texas and out west a bit). I can't say for certain if there has been any without routers or not.

Not the same call centre - registered because I couldn't find any info on it anywhere else and given the volume of calls I've had on it today was (fruitlessly!) hoping someone might have a magic bullet answer on it :)

Majority of users we have looked at have RealTek adapters. Looking right now at an Event Log from a PC and seeing the RealTek adapter disconnect. Going to see if we can get a pattern / trend established here.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,446 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

Setting a static IP address is not the correct way to fix this issue.  Any machine getting a 169.254.x.x address is not getting an address from a DHCP server.  Setting a static IP address may resolve the user's current connectivity issues, but will introduce additional issues if the machine is ever moved to a different network.

An IPCONFIG /RELEASE, IPCONFIG /RENEW should be the first item to try.  If that does not resolve the issue power cycling the router or modem would be next.

#11 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

had one call today. it resolved with ipconfig /release and then /renew

in my humble opinion windows 10 is extremely picky on network issues. i use it on my work computer and if i change the ip to do router configs or other things it might just lock up.
not even /release /renew can fix it then
some times i can get away with it by disabling and then enabling the network card again, but many times i have to reboot to get it back in a functional state

something is fishy. we should all check installed update lists and compare notes

tfn

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

Talked to a friend that manages a major call center in GA and they saw a issue with a Windows 10 update causing winsock errors. I asked him if he had any info on which update they think caused the problem but haven't heard back. I checked through update release notes but couldn't find anything relevant. 

Has it been confirmed 100% that the issue is effecting people who have Windows update turned off?

#13 tombo22485

tombo22485

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

Hi im a independant computer engineer, and taken lots of calls regarding this and google has brought me here, glad to see its not me going mad

I'm in Suffolk UK by the way!

Tom

#14 shawnsbrain66

shawnsbrain66

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:22 PM

I work for a small ISP and we've taken dozens of calls on this today. ipconfig /release /renew works sometimes but not all the time. Something weird is happening. 

#15 notjustpcs

notjustpcs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:56 AM

Five calls this morning from customers.

So far, they're all sorted by renew, release and winsock reset. So we've popped a batch file on a few desktops just in case.

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users