I work at a place that takes calls for customers with computer issues. We've been getting more calls than usual the last couple of days. The common theme is customer’s computer is pulling a 169.254.X.X IP Address and getting an error “Invalid IP Configuration” as a result. The majority of the reports are from today (Dec. 6, 2016) but we had some reports from yesterday too.
What We Know:
- 169.254.X.X IP Addresses
- Primarily Windows 10. Seen a Win 7 as well.
- Customers have different Internet providers.
Essentially fixed by releasing / renewing the IP Address. This can be done a few different ways. Winsock Resets, ipconfig/release & renew, etc.
- No known Windows Updates. Last updates I found were pushed out nearly a month ago.
- Random routers so we can’t fault a particular router type. (Netgear, Linksys, Gigacenter, Belkin, etc.)
- Random AV programs. (SecureIT, Norton, Avast, McAfee)
- Seen a couple different types of Network Adapters, (Realtek, Intel)
Just posting to see if anyone else has seen this and can think of any reason for this to be happening.