Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop cannot see wireless printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

I recently got a new laptop and the first time I went to print something I was able to find the printer and print to it, since then though the printer always shows up as offline, although on all other devices on the network (both hard lined and wireless) can see it.

Laptop: MSI GT73VR Pro TItan 4K

Printer: Canon Pixma MX922

Also when I tried to delete the printer to see if it was stuck or something, the computer bogged down for a minute or two as it tried to delete the printer. It was successful it was just surprising that it took that long and enough resources to bog down the laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CrushImages

CrushImages

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

Hello! Just to be clear, what do you mean by you deleted the printer? Do you mean uninstall it? When did you get this printer? Did you check to make sure all the drivers were updated?

#3 stoneyc

stoneyc

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:32 AM

go to canon website download the drivers for your model number follow instructions how to install or search google

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:28 AM

@GreenGiant 117

My solution: when I know I need to print I make sure my printer is not in sleep mode. If that does not work, I turn the printer off/on (laptop is on, waiting to print) this last step always seems to work.  I do take the time in control panel, Devices and Printers to tell Windows 10 to find an "older printer" as if I do not know the model (I do know) and I will have success for a short time, then I repeat this step when the other steps if do not work.

Have you tested your printer with any other devices?

I feel your pain! Running Windows 10 on one of my laptops I continue to receive the same error message, as you are experiencing. I have spent endless hours trying to find a fix to no avail. The same printer will work with Windows 7 and my iPhone.

I believe that you do have your current drivers as I do as well. I have "removed" the printer, I have "uninstalled" reinstalled the printer as you have with no success. In my opinion, this printer snafu is a glitch in Windows 10, I'm being patient as a fix might take place.

There have been other posts here in BC, you might take a moment to read through this forum to find other similar posts, perhaps your situation is the same as others, or one of our more advanced members will have solution for you.

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

@CrushImages - Yes, uninstalled the printer from the devices list on the computer.

@stoneyc - That is how I got it to work the first time, and tried updating the drivers to see if it was just an old driver.

@softeyes - Printer stays on 24/7 never goes to sleep, tried restarting printer while trying to print, tried reconnecting to the wifi while trying to print. I do not believe that it is a windows 10 issue, as my previous laptop with windows 10 worked fine, as does my desktop with windows 10, and my girlfriends laptop with windows 10. Im just in the Windows 10 environment so I'm guessing that has something to do with it, though I am having odd issues with the laptop despite being so new...

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

Hmm...your printer works with other Windows 10 devices, your new laptop does not. 

Thoughts:

~ Post WiFi/Printer problem in the BleepingComputer Hardware Forum.

~ If you have warranty for the new laptop, utilize that service for troubleshooting.

That's all I can offer! I sure hope you get the issue resolved as it's a royal pain!

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

Windows 10 can be a bit iffy with printers.. for example

“Let Windows manage my default printer” is new to Windows 10 version 1511. When left on its default setting of On, Windows 10 will always configure the default printer to be the most recently-used printer.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/62508/windows-10-tip-disable-automatic-default-printer-management

Also sometimes stopping and restarting the Print Spooler service can often kickstart printers again as in Win 10 that service can be a bit naughty :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users