Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Installing Windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 weightset

weightset

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:21 AM

Ok my friend just gave me his old laptop and i am trying to install windows xp but when i get to the part where i can delete the old partition it comes back saying that the partition you selected can not be deleted why is that with out me deleting this i can not install windows. Some body please help me with this ive never had this problem with my desktop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:27 AM

Try Fdisk. See if there is a logical drive within an extended dos partition. This would have to be deleted first. Then you can delete the partition.

#3 weightset

weightset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:31 AM

how do i do this it doesnt even turn on it just goes past sony then vaio then says operating system not found if i do not have a boot cd in

#4 pc-details

pc-details

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:19 AM

Can I assume that you do not have a floppy drive? If not, you can either obtain an external bootable floppy drive, or a DOS bootable CD with utilities. Both of these are available (the boot CD is cheaper and very useful). Do a google search for PC Boot-up CD.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:43 AM

Is the old laptop a Dell? It could be that behind the partition you wish to remove is the back-up OS which can be used to repair or perhaps re-install - not sure about the latter.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 weightset

weightset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

no this does have a floppy drive and cd drive and no it is not a dell it is a sony vaio pcg f350

#7 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

how many partitions on the disk? is the one you want to install xp on large enough? this could possibly be a protected recovery partition, tho i am not sure about this. what OS was on the drive before, and was the drive working ok when given to you by friend?

if you don't need to save any info (ie, on other partitions) download and burn onto a floppy or cd 'dban's boot n nuke' (from sourgeforge.net) this programe will totally wipe and overwrite the drive, including all partitions.

if you use boot and nuke, use the full (not quick) format option, when you go to reinstall xp.

if you still cannot install xp after above, go to the drive's manufacturer's website and download their own diagnostic tool and check the drive for faults.

good luck

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

Sony is one of the manufacturers that install a hidden partition on the hard drive for purposes of restoring the operating system, depending on how old it is, and what model.

What op system is on it now?

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 August 2006 - 08:58 PM.

#9 weightset

weightset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

right now it has windows 98 on it but it will not work and not to sure how old it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users