Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed to connect to windows service and other (related?) problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dizzog

dizzog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

I am having some problems with my computer and I was hoping I could get some help here.

For about a month or maybe longer, when starting up windows to desktop I get this little notice pop-up:
68541d1481047263-failed-connect-windows-
I never worried about it since I could still use everything fine. However recently I tried to run windows update and it wouldn't work. I open it from the control panel window, but the window just permanently freezes until I restart my computer. I tried system restore after, but clicking on it nothing happens either. Checking processes I see something like this:
68542d1481047372t-failed-connect-windows
And in addition it looks like I cannot install/launch certain programs anymore - they just hang on launching the installer.

I don't know if these three issues are related, but it's causing me a lot of headache since I don't want to reformat my computer. Some Googling shows that the problem (with the updates at least) is that windows update failed and now is broken?  I do recall accidentally shutting off my computer in the middle of an update a long time ago.

Can anyone suggest a solution on how to fix this problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stavros3000

stavros3000

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

Are you getting any errors showing in the event log?  

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

There are to many system restore processes running can you restart your computer and post a new screenshot for us for the Task Manager.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X,  letter key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified Windows system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#4 dizzog

dizzog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

Hi,

Are you getting any errors showing in the event log?  

I was getting a lot, but I wasn't sure if they're related or not.  I have attached a brief event log below.

There are to many system restore processes running can you restart your computer and post a new screenshot for us for the Task Manager.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Hi, for some strange reason when I restarted my computer today, everything fixed itself.  All of a sudden I can install programs again, access updates and sys restore, and the group policy error wasn't showing up... I don't think I changed anything before the restart either (I had tried restarting many times before) so I'm not sure what happened but everything seems to be fine now?

Thanks for your suggestion though, I will try it out if this happens again before asking for help.  Thank you!

Attached Files

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

We are glad to hear your issues has been resolved if nay more problems let us know!

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users