Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cumulative Windows Update for Win 10 on an Acer Laptop

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

I'm setting up a new Acer E 15 laptop with Windows 10. Right now it's in its 18th hour of downloading the Cumulative Windows Update and Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 1607.

I have questions:

While wondering why it was taking so long, I went online with this, my other laptop, and ran across a table of Acer laptops that were compatible with this update. The Acer Aspire E 15 was not on that list. Does this mean the update can't be installed? Is this grounds for requesting a refund? How was I supposed to know that?

It has downloaded the Cumulative Update and is 60% done with downloading the Feature Update. It's progressing, but slowly. What happens if I encounter installation problems? I went through downloading, installing, failing, and reverting and taking 3 hours 3 times with SP 1 a few years back. Is this another one of those? At what point do you give up?

Are there solutions to these problems, a way to get it installed somehow?

What would you do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:09 PM

If you are downloading the Windows 10 Anniversary version and it takes longer than two hours you should restart the computer and restart the download.  But before you do this you should use the following command in the Command Prompt to clean the previous drivers.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

Copy and paste the following command in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

New development. When it finished downloading and began installing, it stuck at 23%. Then  the retry button activated. A message above it said, "There were some problems installing Windows Updates....contact support for information. This may help (0x800705b4)"

Anyone familiar with this? Also, in light of the new development, should I still follow your instructions with the Command Prompt or hit the Try Again button? Thank you for responding, by the way. 

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Have a read here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-anniversary-update-error-0x800705b4/07912f75-70cf-43f0-b15c-6e587550f4df

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info. However, I hit Retry. It searched for updates for 3 hours and found nothing, so I said, "Enough" and boxed it up, explained the problem to Amazon, and they've agreed to a refund.

I went through these 3 and 4 hour marathons with SP 1 and became so frustrated that I waited until I was sure any new laptops sold with Win 7 would have SP 1 already installed. That worked fine for this one I'm on now but I think the hard drive is getting tired. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm sure the Anniversary Update has already been installed before I buy one with Win 10, but I have no idea when that will be. I don't think it would be listed in the specs or anywhere else in the description.

I've given up on finding a new one with Win 7 already installed. Most of the ones available are refurbished  and I just returned a Dell refurb because Windows wouldn't accept the license key and that one couldn't find Windows Update either. 

I'm annoyed with Acer. There's a list I didn't know about that contains the Acer laptop model numbers that are compatible with the Anniversary Update and this model was not on it, yet they sold it anyway. I can only assume they knew there would be problems but didn't care. How could the manufacturer himself not be aware of such a list? Anyway, thanks again for your assistance. I'd like to know where you guys buys laptops that don't have these problems. They seem to be universal. 

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:34 PM

In early Redstone 1 versions of Windows 10, there was a bug in a Windows update component that caused the following cumulative update to fail downloading. A later cumulative update resolved the issue, but getting it on there required... Preseverence....

You could try downloading a later update directly from Windows catalog and install it manually. From then on Windows update should work normally,.

try

http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/crup/2016/10/windows10.0-kb3199986-x64_5d4678c30de2de2bd7475073b061d0b3b2e5c3be.msu

The above link wil probably work, otherwise goto http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx Search for "Windows 10 1607" and download the latest full installer. The one above is "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3197954)" -  827.4MB

x64

#7 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I lost patience watching it do nothing for 20 hours and boxed it up to return it. 

Someone, somewhere must sell a laptop you can just bring home, charge up, turn on, transfer files, update successfully, and get online with no problems. I'm sure of it. From what I gather online, they are very rare. All I need is one. Thanks again. 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

What are you posting from currently?

Was the Acer going to be a replacement?

Was the computer going to be used only for basic web browsing? 

Edit: I remember from your other thread your current computer is Windows 7. 7 will still be supported until 2020.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 December 2016 - 05:27 PM.

#9 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

I'm on an HP with Win 7. I wish it would last forever. Yes, the Acer was to be a replacement for this. I think the hard drive may be tiring. It boots up slowly but then it's fine for as long as I want to use it. Although it's been slightly quicker lately, last week it took 25 minutes to boot. For two years, every day it only took a couple of minutes. Nothing that I know of has been changed or added. Anyway, yes, general net browsing. I've got a smart tv with Roku and Netflix. I wouldn't be streaming with the new laptop at all.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

If you tap Esc at boot it let you do a diagnostic on the hard drive and will detect if a hard drive is failing. If the drive passes Hp allows you to do a complete factory reset by tapping F11 at boot.

If the drive is failing you can run a utility called Advanced Token Manager which will save your activation files and an install disk your can create with the Windows iso downloader to do a clean install after backing up your data. 

For Advanced Token manager you would unzip the file to your desktop. Run the utility and click the backup button. This will place your activation files in the folder. Copy the unzipped folder to a flash drive. After the clean install copy the Advanced Token Manager folder to the desktop from the flash drive and click the restore button. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 December 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#11 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

Interesting. Do I tap Esc once or repetitively like we used to do (can't recall what key) to get it booted in safe mode? So, first I tap Esc to get the analysis. Then what, does it prompt me? How will I know if it passes or fails? Will they tell me if I'm eligible for the factory reset? If I am, then I shut it down and tap F11 when it reboots? Do I tap fn and F11 together or just F11? Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to anticipate the pitfalls all at once. Thanks. I definitely want to pursue this so I'll be waiting for your response.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:05 PM

I wasn't actually clear enough, sorry. Tapping Esc at boot brings up a menu with different functions keys. Pressing the function key for diagnostics start the test. For my computer the test was for memory and the hard drive. I believe you can tap F2 at boot and enter the diagnostics directly

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418#AbT3

All HPs, if the recovery partition is intact will allow you to do a factory reset. Shut down the computer. Press the power button and tap F11.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418#AbT3

#13 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:09 PM

Ok. Great. I won't have time to do it right away, maybe later tonight. Regardless, I'll come back and tell you how it went. It would cost probably between $60 and $90 to find out from a computer repair place I bet. Thanks again. 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

If the drive checks as bad then I would run Advanced Token Manager first to get your activation files. A new 1TB drive is not very expensive and should be easily replaced. 

#15 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

I ran into the failing hard drive issue a couple of years ago when I had my first Acer. It had Win 7 with Mbytes Premium and Micro Essentials and everything worked perfectly together. So I inquired about replacing the hard drive, and I seem to remember the tech said he would have to nuke and pave and re-install Windows. He said he would make a fortune on it but it wouldn't be a sound move for me. He didn't elaborate but I'm sure it included buying Win 7 and having it re installed. He was so adamant I didn't pursue it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users