Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson printer turns itself off shortly after being turned on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 OfficerJenkins

OfficerJenkins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:22 AM

Hey everyone,

Total ludite here so you'll have to bear with me.

I have an Epson 312-313-315 series printer. And whenever I turn it on after about 30 seconds (to a minute max, it varies) it turns itself off.

Now when it's on, the light is green on the printer, the LCD on the printer displays it normal stuff and the printer icon appears on my computer. When it turns itself off their is no light on and the printer, the LCD screen goes dark and the icon on my computer is faded. 

The only change in the printer is it normally sits in my room but since I was nightshift last week it got moved through to the conservatory so I wouldn't get woken. The first time I've tried to use it since then was today. The only thing I can think is the conservatory is the coldest place in the house and it's been below freezing most nights the past week. But that shouldn't affect it surely?

Other than that I've checked all cables are secure, nothing inside is blocking the mechanical moving of the printer heads, ink is full, tried with a wired connection (printer is normally wireless) and made sure the paper feed tray is free of blocks. 

Any help anyone could give would be brilliant, thank you in advance.
Officer Jenkins 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jasesun23

jasesun23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:47 AM

I have an epson xp-410. Yesterday it just turned off. I'd turn it back on and 30 seconds later it would turn off. I started messing around and turned off my router. The printer stayed on when I powered it up. Turned on my router and as soon as the printer connected to wifi it would turn off. I'd leave my router on and I disabled wifi on the printer and the printer stayed on. My sister has the same model printer so I tried it and same exact problem. They even have different firmware. 

I don't have a second router so I can't tell if somehow the router is the problem or if the printer is the problem. Its really odd though. The printer has worked without issue for 2 years. I use it with google cloud print so not sure if that is affecting it somehow. 

Jay

#3 OfficerJenkins

OfficerJenkins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

Hey Jay,

So I think you've got me cooking with gas. But one problem leads to another, with the router disconnected the printer doesn't turn off. However, that being said, when I connect it to my laptop it won't load correct. It shows a message say installing software, then a message saying "Software not installed correctly" (This is down the bottom right with all the small icons). 

After clicking on that message it's told me everything bar the epson scanner isn't working but when I try to print it won't show up, I don't need the scanner just the printer! The bit it says is working, oh the irony haha. So I need to get a driver for this epson scanner. Just going to google that this now, presume it will be on the printer companies website?

Not sure what's causing the problem though, the router isn't new so it's not that. Someone else in the house just got a wireless printer as well but that wouldn't affect it, would it? My laptop has icloud installed but I never use it, again it's been on for longer than a week and it was working fine last week.

#4 jasesun23

jasesun23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

Sorry Jenkins. I tested my printer on another internet and it worked fine so I narrowed it to my network. I rebooted my Verizon Fios Modem and everything worked fine. My problem has nothing to do with Epson or my router, it was the Modem. So i'm sure your problem is differnet

#5 jasesun23

jasesun23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

Jenkins I jumped the gun. So I'm still having issues, but I've narrowed it down more. 

I made my smart phone a hot spot using its cellular so I could test a new network. I connected my printer to the hotspot and it stayed on. Then I went and registered the Google Cloud Print page to register the printer and start using. I use a chromebook so the only way I can print is by using google cloud, no direct connection. As soon as I registered it, bam it shut down. My dad has the same printer in his condo. His is shutting down too. Thats 3 epson printers on 3 different networks with 3 different firmware shutting down

I now believe its Googles fault. Google cloud print is shutting down my printer when its is connected to the internet

Jenkins download the drivers for your printer model from the companies site. Make sure to choose Mac or windows , whichever you have. Install them and connect the computer through USB. See if it works. It might not since your not using wifi, but it still might not work since the computer is connected to the internet. 

#6 ianianian

ianianian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:24 AM

Same thing happened to me on an XP 415. Here's what I did...

1. I turned off my router and the printer worked.
  2. Connected it via usb and printer prints.
  3. Updated the firmware on the printer and tried turning my router back on - Crash.
  4. Reset all settings but wifi - Crash.
  5. Reset all settings including wifi - Works.
  6. Reconnect wifi - Still works.

So it may be as simple as resetting the wifi settings on the printer and running the setup wizard again. Unfortunately you won't have time to do this if your wifi is in range. Good luck.

#7 jasesun23

jasesun23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:29 AM

Good to know I'm not the only one. My Epson XP-410 has the latest firmware. I've reset all my modem and routers and wifi. I've gone into the printer setting and restored to defaults. Printer stays on until I connect to wifi, then it shuts off. I've done every step you've done multiple times since 6am. I get the same results as you (except #2, i'm on chromebook can't hook up a printer through usb). Up until number #6. As soon as I connect to wifi it goes off again, at least if its registered to google cloud print service. 

Sisters xp-410 when I connected it to my smartphones hot spot stayed on even when it was connected through wifi to the smart phone. It only shut off when I registered it with Google Cloud Print. My sisters Epson has been on for over an hour now since its wifi has been disabled. 

Is your xp 415 connected to Google Cloud Print? After you reset everything is it still registered with Google Cloud Print if you do use that service? 

Edited by jasesun23, 06 December 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#8 ianianian

ianianian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, I was using Google Cloud Print. So I took my newly-working printer and tried setting it up again. Crashed, back to square 1...

1. I turned off my router and the printer worked.
  2. In the printer setup options I selected Google Cloud Print Services then Suspend/Resume then suspended the service.
  3. Turned my router back on - Works.

So you're right, Cloud Print was the culprit.

#9 jasesun23

jasesun23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

I just went into printer menu and chose to put back to factory defaults. With the router on it doesn't want to let you do this. I got back to factory defaults. I made sure google cloud print was suspended. I deleted the printer on my google cloud print account. I connected the printer to wifi network and its connected and not shutting off. Been on last 20 mins. I know as soon as I register it to google cloud print it will shut off.

I'm fairly confident that we've narrowed this down to a google cloud print issue. Now if its just these model Epsons are not playing nicely with google cloud print. or if google cloud print is affecting every print is unknown. 

Using Epson Iprint app it works fine. as long as google cloud is off everything is good. Also the Epson connect service work well, that where you send something to be printed to your epson email address. 

Its 99 percent google cloud print

Edited by jasesun23, 06 December 2016 - 10:35 AM.

#10 folofjc

folofjc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

Agree with @jasesun23. I was googling this problem this morning, found this thread, went to google cloud print and disabled my printer. It has not turned off since. I would up it to 99.9% google cloud print, as I didn't do anything else (never restarted router or modem or reset settings).

#11 jasesun23

jasesun23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

Might be an Epson only problem. Here is a link to a post I started in Google Chromebook forum. So far 5 people have confirmed it happening to their Epson printers, nobody else has mentioned another brand. Might be an exploit on Epson printers though google cloud printing service. 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/chromebook-central/525W6rnP5Dc/and5Hd-BCwAJ

#12 deanofgview

deanofgview

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

Just adding my number to the issue.

Started midday yesterday on my WF-3540.  I print to home during the day remotely.  I was printing successfully early and then printer went offline.  When I got home printer was off.  Did the same things everyone else did until I determined it was the cloud print issue...isolated by disconnecting network/firmware/reset to defaults/register/unregister.  Only time it is stable is with GCP suspended.  I have trouble even getting it to unregister/delete especially with it cycling every 30 seconds...if I work fast I can just get it into suspend.

I'm just glad it appears to be a broader issue since I was wondering whether one of my failed jobs, now deleted, was being continuously sent by google and that was causing the cycle.  I did read somewhere that someone experienced something similar when a corrupt/oversized file caused the printer cycle.  I also had an ink tank run out simultaneously and wondered if that had set the error state.  When I first replaced the ink, it of course cycled and then did't recognize the new cart...had reinstall the old, suspend GCP and finally install the new.

An evening wasted.  Looking forward to seeing whether this is is a GCP or Epson issue...did google drop some sort of update yesterday?

Edited by deanofgview, 06 December 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#13 gigahurtz

gigahurtz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

You can add me to this list -- I have two Epson printers (Workforce 845 and XP-410) that are both having this issue today. It was very frustrating to say the least but I'm glad I found this discussion.

#14 JavaRunner

JavaRunner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

And yet another to add to the list!  I even tried using a wired ethernet cable instead of wifi.  Still failed as soon as a connection was established.  Mine is a Workforce 645.

#15 jasesun23

jasesun23

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

Threads on forums are popping up alot now. Its only Epson printers and how google cloud print works with them. 

If I had to make an educated guess, someone used google cloud print service to hack into Epson printers and maybe get into the network. 

Currently I have google cloud services disabled and my printer doesn't shut off. I have epson services enabled which gives my printer and email address. Anything I need to print I email to that address and it prints. 

Def concerned more if this was a hack and did it give someone access to my network vs when they will get this fixed. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users