Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete folder/files - access denied

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andwan0

andwan0

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:15 AM

My PC originally came with a normal SATA HD with Windows 7 installed.

Then I got an SSD and did a fresh installation of Windows 7 on the SSD.

The SSD is labeled C: while SATA HD is D:\

Now I am trying to delete the SATA's folders:

Program Files\

Program Files (x86)\

ProgramData\

Windows\

but it won't let me. I've tried Unlocker program, and even force delete command-prompt in Adminstrator-mode.

I even booted up in SAFE-MODE and it still says "Access Denied".

I've compared the C:\ with the corresponding D:\ folders and noted that the files already exist in C:\...

BUT Program Files\ is newer on C:\

WHILST the other 3 folders, D:\ seems newer.

If Windows 7 still uses folders/files from SATA D:\ (even though I did a fresh installation in C:\..... how can I transfer them to C:\ and get them deleted from D:?

PS: I could just take the SATA D:\ out and see what happens

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:22 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

If you don't have nothing else on the D: drive is easy to simply do a quick format of the d: drive.

Open My computer, right click on the drive then Format.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

could just use a linux boot cd too and pruge files you dont like

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

IMO...you would be able to delete the files on any drive...unless the drive elected is the boot drive or part of the boot structure.  It seems to me that you did a clean install of Win 7 with the old drive attached...which is not the way to do it if you intend to not use both drives and Windows installs for booting.  I suspect that when booting...you now show 2 Win 7 installs as boot options, since the clean install would have made note of the already existent Win 7 on the hard drive...both should then be reflected on boot files.

Windows will not allow deletion of Windows system files which are part of the boot process, be it single or multiboot.

IMO...the solution is to ensure that your system is currently booting from the SSD...boot into it.  A simple look into the BIOS should confirm that the SSD is now the boot drive.

With the computer off...simply remove the cables from the old hard and try to boot the system.  If unsuccessful, then you need to make the SSD the boot drive in the BIOS.  If, after doing that, you still cannot boot into Windows....then your clone is incomplete or reflects the wrong boot structure.

You should be able to correct that by doing a startup repair on the SSD or a repair install on the SSD.

Once you can boot from the SSD without the other drive being attached...power the system down, attach the other drive.  Go to Disk Management, locate the drive with the old Windws install...delete it and create a new partition or any partitions you would like to use for data storage.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users