Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp pavilion G7 keyboard and touchpad not responding

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmarelaptop

Nightmarelaptop

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

Please help me. I use my laptop to drive my embroidery machine and now I can't make any presents or pay bills. It boots up slowly, but there's no cursor. I tried a wireless mouse, but still nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Turn off the computer. Tap the Esc key while the computer boots. There should be an option to run diagnostics on the computer, both memory and hard drive.

You should try a USB wired mouse and keyboard if you have one.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#3 Nightmarelaptop

Nightmarelaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

Thank you for replying. I was able to run the diagnostics. So far, the start up passed and the run-in is running now. Am I running the right ones?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

I am not sure what you mean by run-in. This may be some kind of stress test. I would let it run out. On my HP it lists only memory and hard disk. If you are running the diagnostics then run all the ones that are listed

Was this computer updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7? 

#5 Nightmarelaptop

Nightmarelaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:26 PM

Yes it was upgraded from 7 to 10.

#6 Nightmarelaptop

Nightmarelaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

So far, all tests are passing. I had the option to do a system tune up,so I did that. It's encouraging that I can use the arrow keys!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:43 PM

Even though Microsoft says Windows 10 was able to run on your computer and updated it automatically some computers are not compatible with Windows 10. Your G7 should have a suffix number after the G7 such as 1070us. From looking at the 1070us support site there are no drives listed for Windows 10 so in effect you are receiving all your drivers from Microsoft. 

Did you have any issues with the computer before you updated to Windows 10? 

Do you have a USB keyboard and mouse? We know the keyboard works because you were able to access diagnostics by tapping Esc so I have to think this is a Windows 10 problem.

If you had to reinstall the OS could you replace all your programs. Is there personal data that needs to be backed up and do you have an external drive to back up all your data? 

If your diagnostics check out as okay then you can try doing the following to hopefully get access to your keyboard and do a system restore. From Troubleshoot look for Advanced Options > System Restore. Look for a Restore Date just before the problem. It would be best to use a USB keyboard to access the Troubleshoot menu but you can do the below steps to access it. What are you posting from, a phone or another computer?

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#8 Nightmarelaptop

Nightmarelaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:14 AM

Thank you so muc for your help. I'm posting from my phone. I have aUSB keyboard at work that I'll bring home today and try what you said to try.I don't see any extension besides g series.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

Try to also obtain a USB mouse.

See option 4 for obtaining your model number.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Did you have any issues with the computer before you updated to Windows 10? 

If you had to reinstall the OS could you replace all your programs. Is there personal data that needs to be backed up and do you have an external drive to back up all your data? 

If the USB keyboard works type System Restore in the Search Box. See if you have a Restore Date just before the problem.

#10 Nightmarelaptop

Nightmarelaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

Well I have use of the keyboard and touchpad again! I tried to do a restore to a previous date, but it failed. There's something still not right. It takes forever to start up and all programs are very slow to load. I'm copying all of my files to a flash drive. Is there something I should do once that is done?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

After all your files are backed up you can do a Windows 10 reset with the option to keep your files but you should still have them backed up. I assume all your diagnostics passed. After the reset you will need to install all your programs. If you have Microsoft Office that will also be gone so make sure you have the license for all your purchased programs.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10-page-2.html

#12 Nightmarelaptop

Nightmarelaptop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:13 PM

Sigh... Thank you so much for all of your help and for being so responsive. I am so grateful.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

Your Welcome, hope everything works out for you.

There is also the option of taking it back to Windows 7 if your recovery partition is intact and the Windows 10 reset did not work out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users