Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laserjet 1012 horizontal bands

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jally

jally

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

More often than not lately, my HP Laserjet 1012 printer has been printing horizontal Black bands during printouts. Sometimes the band can be closer to top of page, sometimes toward middle, and sometimes at bottom. It's always different, and sometimes it's with an extra thinner horizontal-band somewhere else on the page.

Yes, I tried shaking the toner gently back & forth, but it didn't help.

Granted the toner cartridge is  remanufactured (bought off Ebay from a reputable seller in Feb.2015. But I doubt it's a toner issue.

I'm hoping against hope that I won't have to dump the printer, because I can't stand the newer models which use alot of power and cause my ceiling lights to flicker. (I also use older thinkpads along with the printer.

Can someone please advise if there's hope of fixing it somehow? Thanks.

Edited by jally, 05 December 2016 - 07:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:40 AM

The only real cure is to buy an HP cartridge, not a remanufactured one.  The rebuilt units are just refilled with toner so the real culprit is the photo drum, it doesn't get touched during rebuild and is the common fault when bands of toner appear on a page.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:04 PM

As mjd420nova said a genuine HP toner is probably your solution.  Most HP toner cartridges also include the drum.  Here is the manual for your printer.  Page 75 covers repetitive horizontal image defects (Clean the printer or replace the toner).  Page 48 is the only use HP toner message.

I'm not a fan of re-manufactured toner or ink.  I worked for  a company that went with refilled toner cartridges only to see printer maintenance costs skyrocket.  Sure they replaced a toner cartridge that leaked, but the printer required hours of cleaning to get a clean print from it.  

#4 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:26 PM

I see - thanks so much for the info!

What I'm wondering now, is whether there isn't at least a 50/50 chance that some of the remanufactured ones come with O.K. drums, depending on the source they got it from?

Or is the chance practically nil that the drum would be in working order?

Also, what if it states (seen on Ebay) NEW - Non-OEM - Microsoft Authorized refurbisher?

Is there any such thing as an OEM that wouldn't have a very low volume of toner and cost 10x what a refurb would?

Edited by jally, 06 December 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#5 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:36 PM

P.S. Have you seen this?

http://www.ccsinside.com/MythBusters.html

Edited by jally, 06 December 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:47 PM

jally, the drum may be in working order when you get the cartridge, odds are they test them at least that much.  The problem is they don't last for the toner that is installed.

Myth #1 - while use of a third party toner cartridge won't void your warranty any damaged caused by the use would not be covered, effectively voiding your warranty.

Myth #2 - If all that was in the toner cartridge was toner there may be no difference, but if the toner cartridge includes the drum, like most HP models, if the drum is not new then it is more likely to fail, giving repetitive print issues as you are seeing.

Myth #7 - If HP doesn't refill the cartridges that are returned to them, why would you want one that someone else refilled?

Myth #8 - I've seen what a leaking toner cartridge will do to a printer. They give you the idea that cleaning out the toner is a normal easy thing to do, it is with OEM cartridges, not so with third party.  Not only do you spend hours cleaning the printer, but frequently the fuser assembly needs to be replaced as it cannot be easily disassembled and cleaned.  This is what a company I worked for previously found out the hard way.  Sure they saved $50 on a toner cartridge, but ended up replacing $400 fusers when the cartridges leaked.  If only 1 in 8 cartridges leaked your savings is eaten up by replacement fusers, unfortunately the failure rate was much higher.

I've been doing IT support professionally for over 20 years and do not recommend using non-OEM cartridges in your printer because I've seen the results.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

There are a lot of things to go wrong when refilling toner cartridges.  There once was a place in central California that had handicapped workers.  They also suffered a 50 percent loss on what they received.   Damage mostly but some from poor worker skills.  The photo drum is behind the spring loaded door.  Pulling the tab on a new cartridge releases the toner from the shipping chamber into the dispenser hopper.  After the photo drum is drawn onto by the laser, the drum rotates through the toner and picks up toner where exposed (drawn) and then rotates that toner image unto the paper as it passes over a high voltage wire(corona wire) and the image(toner) sticks to the page by static charge.  The paper with "loose" toner passes through the fuzer where the toner particles melt to the page.  Keeping the paper path clean is the most important part of daily cleaning.

#8 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:54 AM

I see, again, thanks for the info!

But as for what to look for: What if it states (seen on Ebay)

NEW - Non-OEM - Microsoft Authorized refurbisher

would that be safe???

Or alternatively:

Is there any such thing as an OEM that wouldn't have a very low volume of toner and cost 10x what a refurb would?

Edited by jally, 12 December 2016 - 12:58 AM.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

Well, the OEM closely holds the patent and copyright to anything that would take its place.  The size of the toner particles, the melting temperature, humidity and paper stock all play a part in how well the unit works.  The photo drum is enclosed within the cartridge.  It can only be drawn on by a laser just a finite number of times.  It is behind a spring loaded shutter door that open when inserted into its position in the printer and should not be exposed to light for a long period.  The drum can be inspected visually by opening the door.  It should have a blue or orangeish tint to it.  It should be clean of any toner except at the very edge.  There should be no visible image on the drum.  There is also a doctor blade inside that cleans the drum of any toner before it is written upon.  Any toner cleaned off with the doctor blade goes into a small hopper and there-in lies another fault.  When the hopper gets full, it over flows around the edges of the drum and leaves toner everywhere.  This hopper needs to be emptied during remanufacture and is often over looked.

#10 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

I see, uh, that wasn't quite my question.

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

Not really.  The electronics and mechanical assemblies are made and assembled by machine.  The OEM needs to get their research funded and with the materals cost so low, the consummables get seriously over priced.

#12 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

???

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

FWIW

Louis

#14 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:45 PM

I don't have an Ink printer, rather laserjet.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

In that case...I would have to guess that your printer drum is damaged.

Worth A Read, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users