Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restrict Access to Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shift_del

shift_del

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:52 PM

So what I am looking to do is just what the title suggests. I would like to restrict access to control panel. I would like to be able to completely remove access for certain users but not for anyone with an Admin account. Basically I would like to be able to do exactly what is done when you block access through gpedit.msc  but only for specific users. The problem I am having is when I go in and do it through gpedit.msc it blocks it for everyone on the computer. How can I do this so it is done just for certain users? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

Hope this helps. Edit the registry key shown for each user. It's for Windows 7 but I don't know why it would not work for 10. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16189/configure-what-items-are-available-in-control-panel-or-completely-disable-it-in-windows-7/

#3 shift_del

shift_del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

Is there a way to do it in the group policy editor? I am not real familiar with gpedit.msc but would it work if I were to create a group and then add the users I want to have restricted access to that group? Does that make sense?

I just feel like there should be an option in gpedit.msc to make those changes for specific users. Can anyone tell me why there is not? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

I am not that familiar with Group Policy but the link I posted includes a link to applying Gpedit policies for certain users. From my understanding you would add a snapin for each user. Other than that hopefully somebody else on the forum can give some other ideas.

http://www.howtogeek.com/248206/how-to-apply-local-group-policy-tweaks-to-specific-users/

#5 shift_del

shift_del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

I didnt even see that link. I will take a closer look. I think that might explain what it is I am looking for. I will let you know. Either way thank you for the info!

#6 shift_del

shift_del
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:42 PM

Yes, Im pretty certain that was the info I need. I really appreciate it. I will be doing it tomorrow so if it works I will let you know. Again, thank you very much

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

Your Welcome, looking forward for the update.

#8 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

Yes that is the process I used to modify group policy for users only. Works great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users