Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It looks like reverting back fron win10 was too late

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:18 PM

what happens when it takes too long to go back from the win10 upgrade? I mean when you go over the trial period? is the old windows license destined to die?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:51 PM

what happens when it takes too long to go back from the win10 upgrade? I mean when you go over the trial period? is the old windows license destined to die?

Most likely, plus all extended support will come to an end.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

As to the license, I have tried to describe this before, and have posted links to the Microsoft site, but don't feel like trying to find them again.

If you have a machine you've upgraded you have an interesting situation with licensing:

1.  Your Windows 7 license remains valid provided you are no longer running the Windows 10 installation that resulted when you upgraded.  In other words, it doesn't matter how you roll back - whether by the roll back process, installing an old system image over your Windows 10 upgrade, or doing a clean install of Windows 7.  So long as you are not running the Windows 10 instance that was created via the upgrade you are entirely legally licensed.

2.  Your Windows 10 license also remains valid so long as you are not running a Windows 7 instance that was used to upgrade to it.  You can choose to upgrade to Windows 10 at any point on any computer that has been legally licensed to run it.

What this boils down to is for Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrades, or the corresponding downgrade, one and only one of those licenses is valid to run one and only one version of Windows on the machine in question.  You may not legally dual boot a Windows 10 upgrade with a reinstallation of its "base" Windows 7 on the same machine or vice versa.  You have a single license for one or the other, not both.

If you want to dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 you either have to have a machine that came with Windows 10 for which you obtain a legally licensed separate copy of Windows 7, or vice versa.  You must have two separate legal licenses.

Search these forums for my posts with "Windows 10" and "Windows 7" or the short forms, "Win10" and "Win7", in them and you're likely to come across the original.  The licensing arrangement with regard to a Windows 10 upgrade from an earlier version of Windows is a creation of the free upgrade program, and applies to machines on which a free upgrade was done or undone.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

Exactly what Brian said. It is never too late, but it is either/or, not two at once.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:26 PM

i need to find a way to dig out the old license. i can't find the old folder, and if i call microsoft i get help from India, which is worthless, or at least that has been my experience. they just tell me in so many words i am out of luck.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

i need to find a way to dig out the old license. i can't find the old folder, and if i call microsoft i get help from India, which is worthless, or at least that has been my experience. they just tell me in so many words i am out of luck.

Yes, you will need access to your original Windows 8.1 product code. Microsoft does not keep a copy of that so a phone call would be useless. Good luck.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:14 PM

If you have a Microsoft Account and you purchased Windows 8.1 way back when, that information is likely linked to it.  If the machine came equipped with it then you're out of luck.

I can't remember if Windows 8.1 works similarly to Windows 10 in that if a machine was licensed for it that actually is recorded on a Microsoft server somewhere.  I've seen people "re-upgrade" to Windows 10 and if the machine ever had Win10 on it prior you are not asked for a license key, it finds it on its own.  Does anyone know if 8.1 has that arrangement?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

If the computer is OEM and came pre-installed with Windows 8.1 then the key is embedded in Firmware. Once online Windows 8.1 will self activate.

From your post I am not sure what OS came pre-installed on your computer.

#9 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

i got it at a yard sale, it looks like it was a video management system. an i7 with dual 8400gs cards in sli on an asus z77 motherboard. i think the previous owner wanted to keep the key for later.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

i got it at a yard sale, it looks like it was a video management system. an i7 with dual 8400gs cards in sli on an asus z77 motherboard. i think the previous owner wanted to keep the key for later.

Then you will need to purchase a license if you want Windows or install a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu. I assume this computer does not boot up to a Windows desktop, correct?

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,845 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

Then you will need to purchase a license if you want Windows or install a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu. I assume this computer does not boot up to a Windows desktop, correct?

My question, and I hasten to add that I am not encouraging anyone to do anything illegal here (and I don't even know if it is/one could):

If the machine came pre-loaded with Windows 8.1 is it even possible for a previous owner to "keep the key for later."  If the licensing is linked to the firmware would the machine not just fetch the existing license activation on a fresh install of Windows?

I rather thought that the whole concept of linking license to hardware was to make the need to "dig out the license key" if a later reinstall was needed a thing of the past.

~ Lauren Bacall

#12 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:38 PM

ok, i have the screen from the system, looks like i have 18 days to get this straightened out.

Attached Files

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 08:18 AM

video management system. an i7 with dual 8400gs cards in sli on an asus z77 motherboard

I doubt this is a OEM computer like Dell or HP but is there a Windows 7 COA sticker on the side of the computer showing a key? 

If an OEM computer like HP or Dell and the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 then the key is embedded in firmware as Brian posted. You can confirm this with FirmWareTablesView.

https://www.nextofwindows.com/firmwaretablesview-to-retrieve-windows-8-1-product-key-from-bios

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

I agree with Brian, this should be a simple matter of fetching the original license. Can you just use software like Magical Jelly Bean to retrieve your product key?

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 OptimusSemi-Prime

OptimusSemi-Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:03 PM

no, it is a custom built and there is no coa sticker..   i already tried the jelly bean, it just gives me the temporary key i see loaded already.

going to try firmware table view to see if the original is there.

ok, i ran the firmware tables view, i don't know where to look to see if the original is there.

here is the screen...

Attached Files

Edited by OptimusSemi-Prime, 09 December 2016 - 01:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users