Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NAS Storage Died, Need to recover, RAID Setup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kruegs35

kruegs35

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

I had a Thecus N5200, which is now dead. I believe it happened during a storm and I am guessing the power supply is now bad, hopefully nothing more. New power supplies cannot be bought and the few on Ebay are more than I want to pay. I had the drives set up in a raid. I have a SATA to USB adapter, but the drive is not appearing on my computer. The actual SATA/USB device is recognized, so I am thinking the computer cannot recognize the files on the drive. Could this be because of the raid and now the individual drives are not able to be recognized? What is the best way to proceed to get the contents off the drives?

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2016 - 05:04 PM.
Modified title to reflect RAID - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

Scuttlebutt indicates R-Studio [not free] is one of several powerful RAID recovery utilities.  Many parts of It has a steep learning curve.  Others may have other utilities to mention - stay tuned.

Edited by RolandJS, 05 December 2016 - 05:07 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

What prices were you looking at on EBay? According to this thread the NAS uses a standard ITX mini PSU.

http://thecususergroup.proboards.com/thread/4448/n5200pro-replacement-power-supply

Ebay has a used one for about $25.

Was this a RAID 0 striped or RAID 1 mirrored. If a RAID 0 you can try this software but it is expensive. I have no experience with it though.

#4 kruegs35

kruegs35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:56 PM

I was just searching directly for the Thecus N5200 power supply, not the actual type, since I didn't know. I will look into that thanks. I believe it was RAID 5, but, frankly, I don't remember how I set it up. A new power supply would be my preferred solution.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

If you have a multimeter you should be able to test if the PSU is good. This video is for a standard ATX but the same would hold for the mini ITX. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Here are your pin out voltages.

http://www.powerstream.com/itx-atx-pinout.htm

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:12 PM

To say recovering RAID is difficult is just touching the surface, due to the way RAID works.  With RAID 5 you have at least three drives, when you write a file two thirds are written to each drive, 1/3 actual data and 1/3 for data redundancy.  So, no one drive has your data, you need at least the information from two drives.  The best way would be to get your original RAID box back up and running.

RAID is for drive failure, it is not a backup solution, as you have found out.

#7 kruegs35

kruegs35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:12 PM

I ordered a PSU from Amazon, hope that does the trick. Thanks for all of the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users