Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photo-subfolders Disappeared - Windows Xp Home -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newlinerealty

newlinerealty

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

i use windows xp home and had many subfolders with 1000's of pictures in the 'my pictures' folder. since about 5 months ago i started using google's picasa for organizing and just about a 2 months ago i started using photoshop elements and photoshop 7. all interchangeably. i think this 'confused' the filing system;
i noticed that elements, when i would delete an image outside of elements, would be searching for the 'missing file' and sometimes subsequently freeze.

at any rate - just today i tried to access my pictures and all subfolders are gone! not accessible via explorer, picasa, nor photo elements. i tried doing dir-commands via the command line and even in the appropriate folder i do not see any of the subfolders or .jpgs. i'm devastated!

thus far i have tried to restore to a 2 prior dates - with no success. can i still hope to get my pictures back!!!???

any advice will be much appreciated! thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,847 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

Try searching for the name of a specific file using search. If the files are still on your computer, this will lead you to what folder they have been transferred to.

When the search is finished. Click on Finished searching in the left panel. Then click on the name of the file, and in the left panel click on Open containing folder. Try this and post back with the results.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 newlinerealty

newlinerealty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

ORANGEBLOSSOM....YOU ROCK!!!! I've been on the phone for hours with sony - went to best buy's geek squad and asked anyone whom i though might even have the slightest idea!!!! did a search - as per your post! - found the file i searched for and sure enough - years of pix.... in the same folder!!!!

here's what i can tell happened - all my images used to be filed in my document\my pictures and then whichever folders i would have created. i then started using picasa and photoelements simultaneously and every once in a while either one would freeze whenever it couldn't find a pic that i might have deleted through either psp, photoshop or explorer. IT[b] must have gotten tired of my inconsistent behavior and thrown all .jpgs into the folder of the applicaton that .jpg's were assigned to be opened with - which was paintshoppro - which i hadn't used in quite a while and where files never automatically used to be filed under. but that's i suppose where the allmighty filer decided to put them. i can't tell you how thankful i am!!!! in the meantime i did FINALLy buy a seagate and spent all day backing up all my folder including (unbeknownst to me) the psp folder that had all my images in it!. for good measure i just backed up that folder once more with the honorary name of ORANGEBLOSSOM!!! thank you!!! again!!!!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,847 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:47 AM

I'm glad you found them. :thumbsup: and :flowers: to Bleeping Computer.

By the way, what is Seagate?

Orange Blossom :trumpet:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 newlinerealty

newlinerealty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:16 AM

seagate is the brand of the external hard drive - great buy - btw - at best buy 160g for 89! so again and again - thank you so much!
maureen

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:18 AM

In this case hopefully an external usb drive being used for backup!

#7 newlinerealty

newlinerealty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

so i finally wised up and now have my backup drive!
another case of LIVE and LEARN! and yes - i just made a donation!
thanks again!
maureen

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users