Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant boot up my vhdx on hyper V

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stouthearted

Stouthearted

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

HYello everyone,

I have a 2012 server, I used Disk2VHD to get the drive c as a vhdx,
now when I go to my other physical windows server and try to boot this image on Hyper V,
I can't, I have tried Gen1 and Gen 2 in Hyper V Settings, still no luck,
it is not seeing the boot record at all, the server I want to convert is installed using GPT parition,
but when I go to disk part and list the volumes I have found out that the gpt parition "200 mb" and is RAW and hidden,
If I tried to unhide it through diskpart it gives me error, object is not found, I have tried bootbcd commands fixmbr /scanos/rebuildbcd but no luck still any ideas?

Server to be converted to Virtual: Windows server 2012
Server that Hyper V runs on: WIndows Server 2012 R2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

Thats because you need to boot it in a hyper visor and not a physical machine.

You will have to boot it from virtual box (Or what ever hyper visor you want to use) because you have gone from physical to virtual.

Going back from virtual to physical is a hell of a lot harder.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 05 December 2016 - 04:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users