Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on Black Screen w/ blinking cursor while trying to install Win10 (New PC)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tekboi

tekboi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

A Little Back story:

I have been a mac user for the past 12 years, but recently decided to switch back to PC after the GPU died in my iMac and Apple screwed out of a Free GPU replacement after missing the recall deadline by one day.

Decided to build my first PC this weekend. From what I can tell everything seems to be working okay. The mother board, cpu, fans, gpu, they all power up. I'm able to access the bios with no problem.

The Problem:

The first problem was trying to create a boot-able Win10 usb on my mac. My household is all Apple. And every method I tried for create a Win boot usb failed. The new computer didn't recognize an operate system at all on the flash drive. I was finally able to get a working Win10 usb flash drive by tricking Mac's "Bootcamp Assistant" into creating an image and loading it onto my flash drive. Of course, I have no real way of testing this because I don't have another PC to test it on.

Now my computer will sees that there is an OS on the flash drive (at least I think it does). It immediately boots to the black screen with the blinking cursor and never leaves. I've left it on for hours in hopes that maybe Win10 was loading in the background, but nope.

Things I have Tried:

• Removing the hard drives
  • Changing the sata cables on hard drive
  • moving sata cables over to different sata ports
  • installing older OS's to flash drive (windows 7, windows 8)
  • changing the boot order to ensure that it was booting from the USB first

Here are the specs for my computer:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80671I76800K Desktop Processor
  • MotherBoard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Memory:CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory Kit Model CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060025-WW)
  • Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
  • Power Supply: CORSAIR RM750X
  • Hard Drive 1: Samsung EVO 850
  • Hard Drive 2: TOSHIBA P300 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

After you used Bootcamp to create the flash drive are there a number of files on the USB flash drive and not just an iso file. If there is a number of files then you should be okay. Stick with Windows 10 on the install as it would have the drivers for the newer hardware.

Make sure the following settings are disabled in your UEFI/BIOS if you have them. Check your MB manual.

Quickboot, or Fastboot. It could be called Instant Boot

SecureBoot

Attach the flash drive and I am not sure what key ASrock uses but there should be a key tap to access your Boot Menu. Select the USB flash drive as a boot device. It may be F11.

If you still can't get Windows 10 to boot then try the following.

Create a bootable USB flash drive using Unetbootin and the Windows 10 iso. If Unetbooin does not work then you can use the dd command on a MAC but this is a dangerous command if you select the wrong device to dd the iso to.If you decide to use dd read the article twice. The last option would be to find a Windows computer and use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB. Make sure GPT partition scheme is checked.

Because the MB is UEFI you will need to initialize the disk as GPT. You can do this by pressing Shift + F10 at the first screen where Windows asks for language. This will bring up a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart            This will open the diskpart prompt

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the disk you want to install Windows to. I would detach the disk that will not have Windows before the install. Then X would be 0

clean                 Removes any existing partitions if present and sets up the drive for install

convert GPT     Initialized the disk as GPT in order to boot with UEFI enabled 

exit                   exits out of diskpart

exit                   exits out of command prompt

continue with the install.

#3 tekboi

tekboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:35 PM

After you used Bootcamp to create the flash drive are there a number of files on the USB flash drive and not just an iso file. If there is a number of files then you should be okay. Stick with Windows 10 on the install as it would have the drivers for the newer hardware.

Make sure the following settings are disabled in your UEFI/BIOS if you have them. Check your MB manual.

Quickboot, or Fastboot. It could be called Instant Boot

SecureBoot

Attach the flash drive and I am not sure what key ASrock uses but there should be a key tap to access your Boot Menu. Select the USB flash drive as a boot device. It may be F11.

If you still can't get Windows 10 to boot then try the following.

Create a bootable USB flash drive using Unetbootin and the Windows 10 iso. If Unetbooin does not work then you can use the dd command on a MAC but this is a dangerous command if you select the wrong device to dd the iso to.If you decide to use dd read the article twice. The last option would be to find a Windows computer and use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB. Make sure GPT partition scheme is checked.

Because the MB is UEFI you will need to initialize the disk as GPT. You can do this by pressing Shift + F10 at the first screen where Windows asks for language. This will bring up a command prompt. Type the following commands

diskpart            This will open the diskpart prompt

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the disk you want to install Windows to. I would detach the disk that will not have Windows before the install. Then X would be 0

clean                 Removes any existing partitions if present and sets up the drive for install

convert GPT     Initialized the disk as GPT in order to boot with UEFI enabled 

exit                   exits out of diskpart

exit                   exits out of command prompt

continue with the install.

thank you for responding.

I tried using the dd command. That didn't help the situation. Unetbootin is a tool that I assumed was strictly for Linux. But now I know better and will try to use this tool. Unfortunately, I don't know anybody in the area with a windows computer to use.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

Do you have a local library with computer access?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

"...Create a bootable USB flash drive using Unetbootin and the Windows 10 iso..."  JohnC, I'm trying to follow alongside thread starter and learn something.  I have a Windows 7 ISO, how would I use Unetbootin and the Windows 7 ISO?  I'm trying to visualize what the thread starter desires to do, and what I would do if something similar happens to me.  Since I do not have Windows 10, which Windows 7 ISO would would be used?

Edited by RolandJS, 05 December 2016 - 03:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

I am not sure Unetbootin would work for a Windows install. I threw that idea out as that is the only utility I know of that works on MACS. For the Windows version you would select disk image and iso in the dropdown box and browse to the Windows 7 iso file. The USB flash drive needs to be formatted to FAT32 before using Unetbootin. Unetbootin is usually used for linux distros.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 December 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#7 tekboi

tekboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

Do you have a local library with computer access?

I'm new to the area that I live in. I'm sure there is one around, but i'm not sure how locked down their computers would be. I assume... VERY locked down.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

The libraries in our town allow you to download programs and use a USB key. Rufus does not requiring installing. There is a portable version. It depends on the city I guess. The computers have a rollback feature where any changes roll back to a default state after logoff and login. If you know somebody out of town with a Windows computer they could create a bootable flash drive and mail it to you but I'm not sure how feasible that is for you. 

#9 tekboi

tekboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

I solved this issue last night by installing an optical drive and installing Win10 via dvd.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,591 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:33 AM

Nice, thanks for the update. Glad it's sorted out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users