Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to buy legal Win10 on ebay. What is a "system builders" license?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trickshot63

trickshot63

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

I'm looking to find the cheapest LEGAL GENUINE way to get Windows 10. A system builders license is very cheap on ebay but I know nothing about it. Opinions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

I would assume that it is an OEM license.  An OEM license is legally locked to the hardware it is first activated on.  You cannot legally move an OEM license to a different machine.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:50 PM

System Builder is what Microsoft used to call "OEM" until they realized that "OEM" meant two different things (it took them years to realize this).  They are licenses designed for those who build their own systems (and smaller shops or persons who build systems) and who do not care about MS "support".  As stated above, they differ from retail versions in the fact that they are not capable of being moved to another system when the original system is retired/replaced.

Perfectly legal/valid if talking about a DVD and license.

I have no clue about the validity of any Windows "license" that may be sold sans install disk.  But...that sort of thing is what led to PA by Microsoft in 2005-2006, after Dell and others had managed to sell a ton of "licenses" originally intended for Dell systems.  If anyone is selling "licenses" today without an install disk for Windows...I'd have to guess that such is illegal and MS is preparing/maintaining a list of dupe licenses used by users...same as they did for XP and Win 7.

Louis

#4 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Fellows!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users