Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 updates

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 accidentally

accidentally

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:09 AM

I´m trying to update my computer, but when I click on search for updates in the windows update settings screen, it just shows the bar continuously loading and never finding any updates. Note that I´m not talking about the windows 8.1 update, as I´m pretty sure installing windows 8.1 means I don´t need the update, just the consequent ones after that.

History:

This issue started about a year ago when I accidentally wiped windows 8 from my computer. I was trying to format it and I formatted the drive completely. Then I installed windows 10, because windows 8 wasn´t working.

The next few months it worked OK, but recently, in the last 4 months it has been overheating regularly and even before that it had heat issues. I realized that I installed the wrong version of windows, I thought that having a 32 bit computer means you get 32 bit windows but I was only using 2.4gb out of a possible 8gb of ram.

Now that I have windows 8.1 (64bit) installed, I want to update it, but I can´t do that using the built in windows update.

I also left the driver for Radeon HD 8610 GT graphics card to update but I´m at work now so I haven´t been able to check on the progress.

Heres the previous thread from overheating, which I thought was a physical problem

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632181/my-computer-keeps-overheating-and-i-have-no-idea-why/?view=findpost&p=4119730

and then the previous issues with wiping and installing windows, in order of most recent:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616450/startup-loads-forever/?view=findpost&p=4015633

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603177/computer-doesnt-want-to-boot-using-usb/?view=findpost&p=3916827

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603177/computer-doesnt-want-to-boot-using-usb/?view=findpost&p=3916827

edit: I just tried doing the steps on here  using this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq it's the "windows update troubleshooter" file, which did find and repair some problems but windows update still doesn't work.

Edited by accidentally, 05 December 2016 - 01:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

Post up a new Speccy please.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

accidentally, try this fix from this forum.  You can just go to Updates and change Settings to "Never Check for Updates" Re-Boot, download them and install.  You may need to reboot again at this point, then recheck for Updates Manually.  Then if you want you can reset the updater to whatever you like.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623429/windows-update-not-working/#entry4065866

I think you may have another issue though, whether it's a clogged up Heat Pipe vents or something else I don't know.  It would be worth while to take it apart if you find the confidence.  I know those Toshiba's can be difficult, I may not even dig into one of those.  I think I'm done for the night, see ya tomorrow.

Edited by pcpunk, 05 December 2016 - 11:52 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:26 AM

Im away from my pc until saturday night but ill try that when I get back. How do i download the updates though if the updates doesnt work? Windows website?

Edited by accidentally, 06 December 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:25 AM

Just Download from your Browser to a Folder that you create, just like downloading anything else.  it doesn't matter where as long as you can find them.  Then just Click on the Update to Install.  Here are the Downloads:

In some cases you will have to use Internet Explorer for the download but I've used Chrome many times to do this.  Again, if it were me, I would look into the Overheating issue before doing all these downloads.  It takes a long time and may cause more excessive heat which in the long term won't be good.  I think you are lucky as it is now that you have not fried the  pc!

1. Windows8.1-KB3065988-v2-x64
2. Windows8.1-KB3138615-x64
3. Windows8.1-KB3020370-x64

Edited by pcpunk, 06 December 2016 - 10:37 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:00 AM

Alright. Well I'm still out of town. I'd like to take apart the fan housing and clean it like the picture posted in the previous thread. I basically trust myself nto to break anything but the issue is finding the right tools to open it. DIY is not that popular here, so it's a headache to find a screwdriver that will work or a computer opening kit, as I said I only managed to get to case off and remove some of the screws holding the fan in place. But now that I lent it to my friend, he might have screwed the case on so hard it could be hard to take it off.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

I suggest a some screw drivers of appropriate size of Phillips and Regular, alcohol with some cotton balls or paper towel, razor blade and some Thermal Paste if possible and highly recommended.  

Now that you've had all these issues might as well be prepared to fix it while you have it open.  After all that heat it's been through I would think the Thermal Paste has been damaged, but my experience is limited.  Watch a few youtube video's on how to do it, that always helps.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:09 AM

Would any computer store have thermal paste? I might go ahead an open it sometime this week. I just got back home, and tried to install the updates you posted. only the first two would install, windows update says the third is already installed. Windows update still seems to be checking for updates forever without finding any, and my processor temperature is very high. I would post the speccy but it's almost certainly wrong, at least the temperature is, as I'm pretty sure if my processor was really at 150 degrees it would be fried. But on speedfan, which I trust more it goes to up to 98 degrees which I think is just a few degrees of frying it (It shuts off first anyway). The shutting off thing hasn't happened yet after I put the correct version of windows but I'm pretty sure it will.

edit: actually the windows update thing might have worked. It says it found updates and will install it soon.

Edited by accidentally, 11 December 2016 - 12:48 AM.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

Almost any computer or electronics shop should carry thermal paste, it's quite widely available. Don't worry too much about the brand, the differences are marginal. What matters is that it is applied properly.

First clean both surfaces thoroughly and a little alchohol (iso-propyl is as good as any, and also widely available) to finish off with. Then apply a thin but even smear to one of the surfaces and then screw/clamp/fix them together. Job done. Except for the fact you have spent an hour getting here and have another hour to go to put it all back together again !  The joy of laptop de3sign.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

Okay just keep us informed and we'll try and help if updates don't work.  One thing you can do is try installing them in sequence a few at a time, and not all at once as the Updater tries to do.  Make sure that fan is working first IMO.  Speccy tells us more than just the Temp of course, and some that can read it better than I may come along and take a look. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

nFzgTuS.jpgWindows update seems to be working now actually. It updated and restarted a few times and keeps finding new updates.

I went to a proper hardware store to get a set of tiny screwdrivers for laptops. I thought i was going to pay over odds as it was a 'rich kid store' here in Colombia, where all the rich people shop but it was just 6,000 pesos or 3 dollars canadian.

Anyway, I have to go now but I'll probably either open it up tonight or tomorrow. And I'll get that speccy up.

edit: So I put the speccy/speedfan up. I don't trust the temperature from speccy for a minute, and I think the temperature when idle is alright. It's when it starts working is the problem. It still hasn't shut off on me which is an improvement from before I installed windows 8.1, but it gets very hot even with a cooling pad under the part that houses the processor.

I think I'll go search for some thermal paste tomorrow too.

Edited by accidentally, 12 December 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

I don't know anything about SpeedFan except that it controls the Fans if wanted.  This may be a drawback if it is interfering with your Fans.  Hopefully someone else will comment.  I see some people having issues with it.  For Temps you may try another program: 

Open Hardware Monitor, GPU-Z or Core Temp

Will you confirm if you got all your Updates installed?

And if your Fan is running properly?

Wish you luck getting the Cooling sorted, it can be very rewarding once you get it confirmed working.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:02 AM

Not sure if windows has updated fully. Last I checked it was still finding updates.

Still overheating. Shuts off if I don't out a cool it pad under it.

I opened it up, a few minutes ago. All the screws came off easy as pie with my new screwdriver, until I got to the fan housing. In the post by bludgard in the last topic he has some "screws" circled, four, one on each corner of the fan housing. It's now clear than these are little plastic pegs that are very difficult to remove. I've just been trying to get under them and scrape/push them out with a flat screwdriver but no luck yet.

Edit: OK it turns to I can get to the vent without opening the housing, as there is tape over the part that connects the heatsink/ vent to the fsn, and I removed that. There was a ton of dust in the vent (will post pictures, tablet battery low at the moment). I'm going to go buy some thermal paste to apply while while it's still open but I hope that did it. The air flow definitely looked obstructed. I'll clean it more properly with alcohol. Also once again I find myself posting a hardware problem in the software board or vice versa... hah!

Edited by accidentally, 14 December 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#14 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:45 PM

All done! that was surprisingly quick. I didn't need to take apart the fan housing as all the of lint was bundled up by the ventillator, so I just cleaned that with a cotton swab and some alcohol. I removed the old thermal paste, and used some that I bought, and closed everything up.

According to speedfan, the temperature goes to mid-70's, idle temperature seems around the same if not slightly lower at 40-50 degrees. It's not cool but at last it's far away from 105 degrees which is supposed to be around the processor maximum.

Windows update is still installing updates.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

Windows update is still installing updates.

Checking, Downloading or Installing Updates, are you sure it is "Installing"?

If it is searching for to long tell us, maybe there is something that can be done.

Good that you got the temps down.  Use the Model to find some Service Manuals online so next time you can get it apart the way you need to.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users