Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spawn2031

spawn2031

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

So it seems this problem is coming up quite often these days, clean install of Win7 SP1 won't update / stuck at the "checking for updates".  I have personally reloaded a couple of Win7 PCs in the last year and most of the time I could leave it run over night and in the morning the updates would finally be there ready to install.  This last time, it's been running for 3 days with no progress.  I see all of the different guides out there for downloading rollup fixes which I will give a try later tonight.  My question to the forum is, does anyone have a relatively up to date image of Win 7 x64 OEM?  I remember back in my old school days of fixing PCs we would just clone updated versions of an OS onto the hard drive and then activate them with the customer's key.  Unless Microsuck has done something to stop this, wouldn't having an updated image that's waiting to be activated get us around this issue? At least for clean installs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

Hi:

WU issues can be varied, complex and challenging to fix.

However, if yours is the "usual" issue on an otherwise stable, uninfected system, where it stays forever on "checking for updates", then I suggest the following.

It worked for me on two Win7 boxes, for many other folks here and for even more at other fora.

>>It was devised BEFORE the October 2016 "Rollup" and the November 2016 "Rollup".

>>So I cannot say if following these steps -- but substituting either or both of those patches -- will also work.

It looks complicated, but it will only take a few minutes.  It was broken down into small steps for clarity.

NOTE: On a fresh Windows 7 install, it may help to first install IE11 and MS .NET Framework 4.6.1.

NOTE: If this is NOT a fresh install of Win7, you should already have both IE11 and .NET 4.6.1 AND you can probably skip KB3125574. You may already have KB3020369, as well. KB3172605 seems to be the "key" to getting this fixed...

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3125574, KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the Windows Update applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (RIGHT-click on it, select "Properties" and then change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3125574 and reboot
  6. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  7. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  8. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  9. Reconnect to internet.
  10. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  11. Run a manual check for updates.

It should work for you now.
If it does not, or if you get specific error codes, then you may have a different problem.

Thanks,

MM

#3 ITdog

ITdog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:32 PM

See topic

Windows7 update Problem

I put the answer today for this issue.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Hello, again.

Yes, thank you for posting your method to fix the Windows Update client.
As the Topic Starter here has not returned in over a month, it's possible s/he already found a solution.
But it's always good to share helpful ideas.

I think your method looks a bit more complicated than the one already posted here several times and at KB3200747.
That other way has worked well for many, many folks here and elsewhere.

But perhaps some of the extra steps you describe would be needed on a **corporate** computer, rather than on the home computer many or most of our forum users have.
And if it works, that's all that matters.
Forum visitors can decide what works best for them.

Thank you again,
MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users